FNET on TWR-MCF5225x: Which Serial Port is routed to the DB9 connector?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FNET on TWR-MCF5225x: Which Serial Port is routed to the DB9 connector?

Jump to solution
Kopone
Contributor IV

Hi,

I am trying to run FNET on the TWR-MCF5225x. I figured it should be "easy" to start from the provided M52259DEMO project, but cant even seem to get the serial interface up and running. The Demo and the Tower board both use the 48MHz crystal by default with turned off PLL on startup, so I assume the according FNET init code should match the Tower board.

What doesnt work is the serial shell, I get nothing in the terminal window (MQX hvac demo works though, so hardware setup should be fine). Now after browsing through all docs I could find, i must admit that I am completely lost about the hardware routing and I still have no clue about which of the three UARTS of the MCF52259 is actually routed to the DB9 plug on the TWR-SERIAL Module.

I figured it cant be UART0 since according to the User Manual that one is either routed to the OSBDM or to the RS232 on the MCF-Module (and not the Serial Module)? However the Towerconfig tool says, UART0 is routed to RX/TX2 on the serial module. I cant find any docs though that tell me if RX/TX2 on the serial module is going to the DB9.

Well, right now I am totally confused. Any help and hints greatly appreciated.

Regards, Sven

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kopone
Contributor IV

Ok, there ARE schematics for download, I just didnt find them at first. They are inside an archive that also contains the pcb layout files and it's not mentioned on the twr-5225x homepage. Do a keyword search for "TWR-MCF5225x hardware" to find them.

Anyway, the answer is, it is UART1 that is hooked up to the TWR-Serial module. Now let' see if I can get this FNET demo running... :manvery-happy:

Sven

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kopone
Contributor IV

It works. In case anyone wants to run the FNET code on the TWR-MCF5225x, here's what to do:

This is for FNET 0.7.0

From the FNET demo folders, load the m55259demo_shell.mcp Project into CodeWarrior.

On the Tower Module with the Serial Tower Module installed, the UART that is used for the DB9 connector is UART1 (whereas on the DEMO board, it is UART0). To accommodate for this, two changes have to be made:

-In file M52259EVB_sysinit.h, Line 41, change the terminal port from 0 to 1
#define TERMINAL_PORT       (1)

-In file fnet_mcf_config.h, Line 501, change the FNET_CFG_MFC_SERIAL_PORT_DEFAULT from 0 to 1
#define FNET_CFG_MCF_SERIAL_PORT_DEFAULT    (1)

With these changes, everything works fine for me. I can hook up to the TWR-SERIAL Module with the terminal program and launch the http server, then access it via a browser.

Regards,

Sven

0 Kudos
butok
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Guys,

I am going to do minor FNET release that will have TWR-MCF52259 support by the end of this week.

Please be patient :smileywink:

Andrey Butok

0 Kudos
Kopone
Contributor IV

Cool! I'll post my FNET questions over in the sourceforge forums.

Regards,

Sven

0 Kudos
Kopone
Contributor IV

Ok, there ARE schematics for download, I just didnt find them at first. They are inside an archive that also contains the pcb layout files and it's not mentioned on the twr-5225x homepage. Do a keyword search for "TWR-MCF5225x hardware" to find them.

Anyway, the answer is, it is UART1 that is hooked up to the TWR-Serial module. Now let' see if I can get this FNET demo running... :manvery-happy:

Sven

0 Kudos