Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Bootloader update of M52259demo

Jump to solution
Hyeoungho
Contributor II

Hi All

I have problems with updating the bootloader of M52259 demo board. As described in the readme.txt of CW 7.1.2, I installed JM60 GUI application and made J5 ON. But the computer recognized the board as the OSBDM devic, not Freescale JM60 Bootloader device. So the JM60 GUI application couldn't recognize the board.

CW version: 7.1.2

USB device name: Open Source BDM JM60 (LibUSB-W32)

What is wrong with my configuration?

Thank you.

Regards

Hyeoungho

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Hyeoungho
Contributor II

Hi All

Finally, I deleted all the installed Codewarrior version (7.1.2, 6.3) and also deleted the folders themselves. Also I deleted all the installed submaterials like JM60 GUI and MQS and so on. After that, I reinstalled Codewarrior v7.1 only and didn't upgraded to 7.1.1. Then I succeeded to download the object code to the flash of m52259demo board.

Even though, still I couldn't see the green USB connection indication when I set J5 on and run the JM60 GUI application. However, I can download and debug applications with v7.1 Codewarror.

I will keep update.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Jaux
Contributor I

MQX is a wonderful tool - just such a pity we are stuck with CodeWarrior

Ok - concerning the M52259DEMOMCU kit -

1. You have to match the firmware of the embedded JM60 device with of the comms dll in CW.

2. The M52259DEMOMCU (at least the 3 kits I got) works with "osbdm_cf2_gdi.dll" in CW 7.1 with upgrade 7.1.1

3. There is a bug in 7.1.1 which was fixed in 7.1.2 BUT THIS FOR SOME OBSCURE REASON loads a different (updated?) version of the comms dll (osbdm-jm60_gdi_cfv234.dll) BUT NOBODY TOLD US WE HAVE TO UPDATE THE FIRMWARE INSIDE THE EMBEDDED MC9S08JM60!

4. Just installing the 7.1.2 upgrade WILL NOT work. You will have to upgrade the JM60 firmware as well, which at this stage I am unsuccessful  - the JM60 GUI Application does not work, not with the board USB connector or a BDM device connected to the BDM interface of the JM60. Oh yes, the DEMOMCU board has an embedded OSBDB device, there IS NO J3

5. Quick fix - install CW7.1, install upgrade 7.1.1, save the file osbdm_cf2_gdi.dll, install upgrade 7.1.2 and rename osbdm-jm60_gdi_cfv234.dll to osbdm-jm60_gdi_cfv234.dll.old. Copy osbdm_cf2_gdi.dll into the folder and rename to osbdm-jm60_gdi_cfv234.dll

6. Restart CW7.1.2 - it should work.

I would like some comment from Freescale / CodeWarrior why this happened and what they plan to do that this wil not happen again in future. Freescale exists because we design and develop new things running and using Freescale devices - a little help from Freescale will be appreciated...

John Ulyate

0 Kudos
vier_kuifjes
Senior Contributor I

Jaux wrote:
4. Just installing the 7.1.2 upgrade WILL NOT work. You will have to upgrade the JM60 firmware as well, which at this stage I am unsuccessful  - the JM60 GUI Application does not work, not with the board USB connector or a BDM device connected to the BDM interface of the JM60. Oh yes, the DEMOMCU board has an embedded OSBDB device, there IS NO J3

Your quick fix has worked for me in the past too.

The DEMOMCU board has a J5 jumper. If you install that jumper, you can reprogram the BDM. If that worked for me, it should work for others too. I have 2 boards and successfully updated both.

The instructions for updating the OSBDM firmware are in the file Release_Notes_7.1.2.txt, which can be found in the Freescale Codewarrior program folder on your system after the update to V7.1.2 is applied.

0 Kudos
Jaux
Contributor I

Marc VDH -

You are absolutely correct, thanks

While I got you on the line, some interesting observations, for comment...

1. My primary worksation is an iMac running OS X 10.6.2. I have VMWare Fusion installed and have several WinXP VM's which work well with the OSBDM code and harware

2. The JM60 GUI however does not work

3. All my other Freescale dev kits using  P&E BDM's does not work either

4. I also use a tool from Forth Inc, SwiftX which uses the same P&E BDM interface which works faultless.

5. I have created a seperate partition on the iMac using Bootcamp and is running Win7 from this, but no sucess on the CW 7.1.2 + P&E BDM

Any ideas?

BR

0 Kudos
Neokrunch
Contributor I

Hello

I have exaclty the same problem here with my M52259DEMO board:

1) With CW 7.1 without pacthes, I can program the board, no problem.

2) When I update to 7.1.2, I can't load the gdi dll

3) I would like to update the OSBDM firmware so I follow the steps in the 7.1.2 release note, but like Hyeoungho I cannot connect the board in JM60 Bootloader mode (I place the jumper on J5 before connect the OSBDM USB). So the JM60 GUI doesn't recognize my board.

Please somebody help us :smileysad:

I need to use MQX 3.4.0, is that possible in CW 7.1.1 instead of 7.1.2 ?

Regards

Neokrunch 

0 Kudos
vier_kuifjes
Senior Contributor I

When Codewarrior 7.1.2 was just released, I too had the problem that I could no longer connect to the 52259demo board. I didn't know about that firmware upgrade yet. I managed to work around this problem by saving a backup copy of the dll file of the old codewarrior and using that with version 7.1.2.

I don't know if this will give compatibility issues with MQX, but it worked perfectly fine with Coldfire Lite.

0 Kudos
Hyeoungho
Contributor II

Things that I have done:

I changed the USB cable three times.

Reinstalled CW two times.

Reinstalled JM60 GUI 1.2 three times, 1.4 two times.

Reinstalled USB device drivers several times.

0 Kudos
FridgeFreezer
Senior Contributor I

I have just had similar problems with the 52259EVB/DEMO, you need to load the .cfg and .xml config files in the flash programmer before it will communicate fully with the board.

http://forums.freescale.com/freescale/board/message?board.id=CWCFCOMM&message.id=3237#M3237

The DEMO board is JM60 type BDM, the EVB is P&E_USB. I created two new XML files to try to make it easier in future...

0 Kudos
Hyeoungho
Contributor II

Hi All

Finally, I deleted all the installed Codewarrior version (7.1.2, 6.3) and also deleted the folders themselves. Also I deleted all the installed submaterials like JM60 GUI and MQS and so on. After that, I reinstalled Codewarrior v7.1 only and didn't upgraded to 7.1.1. Then I succeeded to download the object code to the flash of m52259demo board.

Even though, still I couldn't see the green USB connection indication when I set J5 on and run the JM60 GUI application. However, I can download and debug applications with v7.1 Codewarror.

I will keep update.

0 Kudos
vier_kuifjes
Senior Contributor I

It's all there in the release 7.1.2 readme file:

====================================================================================Instructions about updating OSBDM-JM60 Firmware with Freescale JM60 GUI Application:====================================================================================Freescale JM60 GUI tool includes a GUI version of the bootloader that can be used for OSBDM-JM60 firmware programming. Once the OSBDM-JM60 firmware has been installed with the bootloader library (either at the factory or by a debugger that can program the OSBDM-JM60 through the BDM connection), the firmware can be erased and reprogrammed with the JM60 GUI tool. For the standalone (i.e., non-embedded version) OSBDM-JM60, the jumper J3 = ON position activatesbootloader mode when the USB cable for the OSBDM-JM60 is plugged in. When the JM60 GUI tool recognizes the OSBDM-JM60 in bootloader mode, the bottom right USB symbol of the JM60 GUI changes the color from red to green. Follow the detailed steps below to update the OSBDM-JM60 firmware with the Freescale JM60 GUI Installer.1)  Install the Freescale JM60 GUI Installer application by running {CW_INSTALL_DIR}/ColdFire_Tools/JM60 GUI/setup.exe2)  Set J3 jumper ON position. 3)  Connect the USB cable to the OSBDM-JM60 pod.4)  Found New Hardware Wizard is launched for Freescale JM60 Bootloader device. Install the drivers.5)  Open the Freescale JM60 GUI Installer. The USB symbol in the lower right corner of the JM60 GUI should be     green if the bootloader is activated.6)  Select Bootloader from the JM60 Application Menu.7)  Load the OSBDM-JM60 firmware SREC file (located on the Freescale website at      http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=M52259DEMOKIT&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools...      from the JM60 USB Bootloader window.8)  Select Execute from the JM60 USB Bootloader window.9)  Do not interrupt the firmware update process until it completed.10) Close the Freescale JM60 GUI.11) Disconnect the USB cable.12) Set J3 jumper OFF position.The Freescale JM60 GUI Installer, which was available at the time of this release, has been included for your convenience. If you experience any communication issues, please check the Freescale WEB site for updates athttp://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/download/license.jsp?colCode=JM60_GUI_INSTALLER_V1.2&location=null&fsrch=1.

If you follow these instructions carefully you'll be able to program the 52259DEMO board directly from codewarrior 7.1.2. I have upgraded 2 boards already, no problems.

- Marc

0 Kudos