Merging Processor Expert changes

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merging Processor Expert changes

Matt_OES
Contributor I

I am working with Codewarrior 7.1.2 for Coldfire development using Processor Expert for initializing most modules. I am also using TortoiseSVN for backup/branch/merge with multiple developers.

The problem that we are having is that multiple branches may include changes to PE, but when merging back into the trunk we don't know how to merge PE changes.

For example, I recently split a trunk into two branches. On the first branch I added ExternalFile bean and on the second branch I modified the I2C bean.

When I merge the first back into the trunk I can only overwrite the existing PE stuff, which is fine. But when I merge the second branch back into the trunk, I have to overwrite the PE stuff again so I lose the ExternalFile bean.

Is it possible to cleanly merge PE changes?

Thanks,

Matt

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

ProcessorExpert
Senior Contributor III

Hello,

Processor Expert does not provide such feauture intrinsically, so it needs to be done manually.

Here are the steps that could be used to merge two PE projects. Lets say we are merging  two version of porject - project "1", where some components were added and project "2" where they are missing :

1 - checkout projects "1" and "2" into separated directories. Please note that both project should have the PE code (re)generated before they were checked-in.
2 - Find a xml file {project name}_Settings.xml, located in "DOC" sub-folder of every project. This file is updated after code generation. By comparing these files, you can find the differences in presence and settings of individual components.
3 - If there were new components added in  project "1", open it, select the new componets and use "export.." pop-up menu command (see below). Close project "1".
4. Open the  project "2" and adjust the components settings detected along the changes found in step 2. If components were added, use "import..." pop-up command to import the added beans.
5.- Merge user modules ({projectname}.c, events.h, events.c etc..)
6.- Cenerate code for the project "2". Close project"2"
7.- Commit modified project "2" into your version system

Note:
- To export bean(s) please set focus on it(them) and then open pop-up menu of "Project panel" window (by right click into white space) and use "Export ..." menu command to save it.
- To import saved file(s) just open  *.pe file of exproted bean(s) by usig "Improt ..." menu command from the pop-up menu of Project panel window.

best regards
Vojtech Filip
Processor Expert Support Team

0 Kudos

Matt_OES
Contributor I

That strikes me as a terribly cumbersome way to do this. The xml file is over 60 pages and not the most easily read document.

Unless someone has a better solution, I really hope that in the future the Processor Expert team will see the importance of code repositories and have a more easily merged (automatically, using common repository tools) text document.

When I split a project up into 4 branches for various developers to create and test individual modules and they all add and change beans, it would be very nice for that to all come together as smoothly as the rest of the code does.

Thanks for your solution.

0 Kudos