cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPC8536 Evaluation board Flash Programmer

Jump to solution
AshishAgarwal
Contributor III

I am newbie for the embedded Linux development.

MPC8536 Board customization task needs program the FlashROM the very first stag, i.e. Fully erased FlashROM.:smileyindifferent:

So i downloaded the Code warrior 8.8 tool. The CW8.8 does not have support for the MPC853. There were no files for the configuration of MPC8536. so i tried to write a configuration file for the MPC8536.

Hardware diagnostic tool is working fine, but Flash Programmer tool is not working till now.

Then i decided to go for the custom Flash program write this to DDR first then point the SP to that location if i succeed => Flash can be programmed. 

How can we write the Custom binary file to the DDR via JTAG, and how the SP [stack pointer] access in the code warrior environment.

Note: MPC8536 configuration files and support is not available now @ Freescale support

Any help is highly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ronco
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
We will have a CodeWarrior Service Pack available later this year but for now you can add the files attached here to your CodeWarrior installation.

Before copying the attached files, install 8.8 CodeWarrior for Power Architecture, and then install the 8.8.1 CodeWarrior Power Architecture Update Patch.

Next, save the attached *.xml files to "{CW}\bin\Plugins\Support\Flash_Programmer\EPPC\85xx\", and save the *.cfg file to
"{CW}\PowerPC_EABI_Support\Initialization_Files\PQ3\".

These files are valid for the Rev 1.0 MPC8536DS and will not work with the Rev 1.1 board.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ronco
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
We will have a CodeWarrior Service Pack available later this year but for now you can add the files attached here to your CodeWarrior installation.

Before copying the attached files, install 8.8 CodeWarrior for Power Architecture, and then install the 8.8.1 CodeWarrior Power Architecture Update Patch.

Next, save the attached *.xml files to "{CW}\bin\Plugins\Support\Flash_Programmer\EPPC\85xx\", and save the *.cfg file to
"{CW}\PowerPC_EABI_Support\Initialization_Files\PQ3\".

These files are valid for the Rev 1.0 MPC8536DS and will not work with the Rev 1.1 board.
0 Kudos
AshishAgarwal
Contributor III

Thanks a lot Ronco m-.-m

>> Before copying the attached files, install 8.8 CodeWarrior for Power Architecture, and then install >> the 8.8.1 CodeWarrior Power Architecture Update Patch.

will newer updates [like SP2, and other patch] will not support it ?

Meanwhile i tried the another long way "Merry-Go-Round" method  :smileymad:

but, i was able to write Flash via the custom driver code, embedded through the CW debug project. with my own developed jtag file. [because of working DDR ]

but that jtag file was not fully working with Flash Programmer tool.

but it was really a great help with your files,

corrections in the file i wrote before were done successfully :smileywink:

what i did wrong is just "I forgot to make DDR cache inhibited"  :mansad:

but it was same as in case of 8544ADS_init.cfg, donot know why it is not working for 8536?

Along with the DDR settings, Memory map also different from yours one

All cases Flash [Read -> Erase -> Write] are working now ....

now i am facing another problem, when i compile the u-Boot over ltib tool as described in "Pro & Linux App Edition Targeting Manual.pdf" => Debugging the U-Boot Bootstrap Firmware

step by step following of guide still not working for me :smileysad:

code were compiled successfully  but when i tried to open elf file in the C, it is giving me warning about "libgcc2.c" file not found.

0 Kudos
ronco
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ashish,

Glad to hear you got the Flash Programmer to work with your board!  For the new issue about debugging u-boot, it would be best to start a new thread on this new topic but basically the CodeWarrior debugger is telling you that it can't locate that source file and you'll have to manually direct the debugger to its location.  Try that and see what happens.  If this problem persists, I suggest starting a new thread to discuss it independently.

Ronco

0 Kudos