How to debug LS1046A using CodeWarrior TAP and gdb?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to debug LS1046A using CodeWarrior TAP and gdb?

tomhohenstein
Contributor I

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to debug a custom board with a LS1046A processor with gdb. For this I have connected the CodeWarrior TAP to the board via JTAG and to my PC using Ethernet. Using this setup I can successfully connect to the TAP via telnet. The TX/RX LED on the TAP is blinking green and the RUN/PAUSE LED is red. 

When I try to connect to the gdbproxy on the TAP from my host machine I get 'Connection timed out' message from gdb. According to this thread the problem could be that the gdbproxy is not running on the TAP. Unfortunately I can't really follow the instructions Sinan Akman wrote down. Could you give me a more comprehensible guide on how to start the gdbproxy on the TAP?

Additionally, according to this thread a special target.xml file is needed. Where can this file be found for the LS1046A processor?

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Tom Hohenstein,

I introduce something about the background of debugging with CodeWarrior TAP and GDB.

We provided boards bringing up support with GDB and CodeWarrior TAP several days ago when we just started to use
CodeWarrior TAP to replace USB TAP. The document and gdb test tar ball containing boards initialization and configuration files released at that time are old, only can be used on PowerPC platforms. Then we didn't provide any
update release to customers, so we don't have gdb configuration demos for Layerscape(ARM core) processors, because we recommend customers to purchase CodeWarrior license.

For documents, you could refer to
CWTAP_GDB_GSG.pdf provided by Pavel Chubakov in https://community.nxp.com/thread/468025,

We have GDB configuration demos tar ball working with CodeWarrior TAP for PowerPC platforms, please refer to gdb_test_ccs_365 provided in the above link. If users still want to use GDB and CodeWarrior TAP to do LS1046A brining up, they could create their own initialization and configuration files based on the existing demos for PowerPC referring to CodeWarrior initialization file.
Please refer to the video provided in http://www.nxp.com/video/board-level-bringup-using-codewarrior-tap-and-gdb:BOARDLVL_CWTAPGDB_VID.

GDB proxy setting up section is provided in the script bin/<platform>_init.gdb, after setting up gdb console, you could run the following command to connect to the target board.(gdb) source p4080_init.gdb
Please refer to the following commands to connect to gdb proxy.
(gdb) set logging off
(gdb) set debug frame 0
(gdb) set debug remote 0
(gdb) set remotetimeout 100
(gdb) set tdesc filename ../xml/power-core.xml
(gdb) target remote 10.193.20.72:2345
Remote debugging using 10.193.20.72:2345
0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb) mon get_probe_status
Connected to gdbserver FSL039B85:2345
If further assistance is needed, please feel free to let me know.
To update this case, please reply to this email.

Have a great day,
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos