Codewarrior for Coldfire and Vista

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Codewarrior for Coldfire and Vista

vier_kuifjes
Senior Contributor I

I recently upgraded (?) the operating system of my PC from Win XP Pro to Vista. I didn't perform a clean install but actually did an upgrade of the existing OS.

I went through a lot of problems to get everything to work again and most of my programs now work like before.

Not so for Codewarrior though. I am running Codewarrior lite for Coldfire 7.1.1a to write software for my 52233DEMO board (among others). Codewarrior itself works perfectly fine, but I can no longer access the demo board with the USB connection.

I can still access the demo board using CF Flasher though, after I upgraded the unit_cfz.dll file to the latest version (found out about that on the P&E web site). There's a copy of that DLL hidden somewhere in the Codewarrior program folders, so I updated that too.

I have tried reinstalling everything Codewarrior related and have made sure I was running all the latest software I could find on the web, including CFFlasher, P&E drivers,  Codewarrior + patch and the unit_cfz.dll file, but no luck.

I have made a printout of the protocol log when I try to connect to the DEMO board using CF Lite:

P&E: open_port
P&E:    PortType = 3
P&E:    PortNum = 1
P&E:    result = True
P&E:   open_port 
P&E: check_io_delay_cnt_value
P&E:    ioDelayCount = 0
P&E:   check_io_delay_cnt_value 
P&E: reset_hardware_interface
P&E:   reset_hardware_interface 
P&E: check_critical_error
P&E:    criticalError = 0x00
P&E:   check_critical_error 
P&E: version
P&E:    version = ColdFire Interface Libraries Version 3.26.00.00 (http://www.pemicro.com)
P&E:   version 
P&E: force_background_mode
P&E:    force_background_mode = True
P&E:   force_background_mode 
P&E: force_background_mode
P&E:    force_background_mode = True
P&E:   force_background_mode 

After that, the flash programmer of Codewarrior gives the message

Error: Initialization Failed.

I hope there is a way to fix this. Having to program the board with CF Flasher is not a problem but I am no longer able to debug the program on target this way.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

vier_kuifjes
Senior Contributor I

I also have a clean Windows 7 beta installation on a separate hard disk on my computer.

As a test, I installed everything again in Windows 7. I got exactly the same results under Win7 as I get under Vista: CF Flasher works fine, Codewarrior works fine but gives an error when trying to access the demo board via USB.

0 Kudos

vier_kuifjes
Senior Contributor I

I figured out what the actual problem was, but I have no clue how it happened.

For some reason the file m5223x_evb_pne.cfg was missing in my project. I found this out after flashing the CPU using CFFlasher and then trying to start the flashed program with the codewarrior "run" button. Here I got a complaint that the file was missing. After I restored the file everything worked fine again!

0 Kudos

lel_chen
Contributor I

Hi Marc,

I am facing the same issue that you have mentioned. I would like to know as to how you resolved it. The details are :

Ctl : M52259.

When I try to erase/program the flash, the message "Error: Initialization failed" comes.

When I try to run/debug[F5], it gives the message as shown in attachment- that the init file cannot be opened.

- Where can I get hold of the initfile for m52259?

- where should I configure it?

Kindly help.

Thanks,

Letha

0 Kudos

vier_kuifjes
Senior Contributor I

I think your problem might be that you didn't select the correct target in the flash programmer utility, as the error message states the MCF5206 CPU, which is not the 52259.

Under "target configuration" click the "load settings" button. You then get a list of all known targets. Select the one that matches your configuration. If you're using the 52259 demo board, select "MCF52259_INTFLASH.xml". The settings in the "target configuration" screen will now be greyed out.

Your project may also have to be set up for the corect debugging interface. The 52259DEMO board uses the OSBDM interface. See below:

0 Kudos

lel_chen
Contributor I

Sorry,

forgot the attachement.

Thanks,

error.JPG

Message Edited by t.dowe on 2009-09-02 03:12 PM
0 Kudos