Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Connect" debug session type doesn't work

Jump to solution
oznurcaliskan
Contributor II

Hi,

I am using CodeWarrior for MCU Version: 10.6 on my computer. I am trying to connect to the target without downloading. So, I tried to connect it with the "Connect" debug session type but it gives me an error "No source available for '0x00100068 (0x00100068)()'" and I cannot see the Variable's content or any of them. 

P.S.: The address it gives in an error is my Reset Vector Value for Bootloader. If it gives you any hint.

I tried connecting it with the "Custom" debug session by unchecking the boxes "Execute reset sequence" and "Execute initialization script", but it also downloaded it which I don't want. 

If anybody knows the settings need to be done, I appreciate it.

Thank you,

Öznur Çalışkan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Well, it's interesting that this doesn't work. Something similar works in S32 Design Studio.

Anyway, I found quick workaround - go to Debugger tab and add elf file like this:

lukaszadrapa_0-1683729194903.png

Then you should see the source code. It is possible to add more elf files here, so you can add elf files for both bootloader and application. I didn't test more elf files but I expect this should work.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lukas

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, my name is Pavel, and I will be supporting your case, let me get into your case and when I have more information, I will contact you.

Best regards,
Pavel

0 Kudos
oznurcaliskan
Contributor II

Hi Pavel,

Thank you for your quick reply. Please let me know if you need more details about this case. Looking forward to reaching a solution to this problem.

Kind regards,

Öznur Çalışkan

0 Kudos
Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

sorry for the late response, I have more questions, could you share an image of this issue? and could you tell me about the part you are using?

Best regards,
Pavel

0 Kudos
oznurcaliskan
Contributor II

Hi again,

Sure. Firstly, I am using the "Connect" debug session with the settings below; 

oznurcaliskan_0-1683189551065.png

The steps I am following are; I am uploading my bootloader code to a board and I want to be able to connect to the board to view the variables' change without downloading another code with the Connect debug session type I am getting the error below; (but, code doesn't crush down, it just stops and when I try to rerun it gives the same error with another hex values every time.)

oznurcaliskan_3-1683189772411.png

So, I thought it maybe cannot reset itself? But, I couldn't find any debug configuration settings that need to be done for connecting to target. 

Thank you,

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, sorry about this but could you confirm, what is your target? Are you using an EVK? if not, is right you are using a Universal Multilink as an external debugger?

Best regards,
Pavel

0 Kudos
oznurcaliskan
Contributor II

Hello Pavel,

The platform I am using is, we can say it's like EVK but not the same. It is a prototype Engine Control Unit (ECU). In this prototype, I have an MPC5642A microcontroller (that's my target) on an XPC56XX EVB. And, yes you're right I am using USB Multilink Debug Probe as an external debugger. ECU is connected to Host PC via JTAG Port using USB Multilink Debug Probe.

Thank you,

Kind Regards.

0 Kudos
lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @oznurcaliskan 

this is not an "error":

lukaszadrapa_0-1683707928441.png

This says that you are connected but you do not have debug information from elf file. If you click on View Diassembly, you can step asm code. But you won't see original source code, symbols etc. Only pure asm instructions.

You wrote that it is address of your bootloader. But there's application project selected:

lukaszadrapa_1-1683708163828.png

If you want to see debug information for bootloder, you need to select bootloader project here.

Regards,

Lukas

0 Kudos
oznurcaliskan
Contributor II

Hi,

Actually I tried the same process with Bootloader code, but it gave the same warning:

oznurcaliskan_0-1683708953155.png

Can you provide me a procedure for connecting to target without downloading? I only want to observe variables' behavior.

Thank you,

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Well, it's interesting that this doesn't work. Something similar works in S32 Design Studio.

Anyway, I found quick workaround - go to Debugger tab and add elf file like this:

lukaszadrapa_0-1683729194903.png

Then you should see the source code. It is possible to add more elf files here, so you can add elf files for both bootloader and application. I didn't test more elf files but I expect this should work.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lukas

oznurcaliskan
Contributor II

Hi again,

It worked it just needed both .elf files to be added as you showed in your reply. Thank you so much

Kind regards,

Öznur

0 Kudos