What is the advantage of using the online (instead of offline) installer for CW?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the advantage of using the online (instead of offline) installer for CW?

Jump to solution
lancefisher
Contributor III

I've tried both and it seems that while the initial download for the online version is significantly smaller, it ends up downloading more data overall so the result takes longer.  Also with the online version I think there are more frequent pauses for user input.  I'm working with a rather slow connection (0.5 to 1 MBPS) which makes the extra download particularly painful but at this time I can't see any reason to use the online method.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

With the 'online' version it downloads the needed packages 'on demand'. I have not measured it, but I would think that if you install say just S08, than it might be faster. But generally I recommend to download the 'offline' version: that way you have downloaded everything and you can distribute it locally. At the end this worked for me best.I think the online version works best with a very fast internet connection. Mine is less than 2 MBit too.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

With the 'online' version it downloads the needed packages 'on demand'. I have not measured it, but I would think that if you install say just S08, than it might be faster. But generally I recommend to download the 'offline' version: that way you have downloaded everything and you can distribute it locally. At the end this worked for me best.I think the online version works best with a very fast internet connection. Mine is less than 2 MBit too.

0 Kudos