Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help Me Understand 32-bit Multiplications in CW 5.7

Jump to solution
GFSmith
Contributor II
Hello,

I'm using CodeWarrior 5.7, Build 2211 for the HCS12, specifically the MC9S12E128 microcontroller. 

The following compiler options are activated:

-CpPPAGE=0x30 -D_HCS12 -D__NO_FLOAT__ -Lasm=%n.lst -Lasmc=ehpv -Mb -Os -Onu -Onf -OnB -Onbf -Onbt -Onca -Oncn -OnCopyDown -OnCstVar -One -OnP -OnPMNC -Ont -Or -Rpe -WmsgSd1860

I have the following code:

#define ULONG          INT32U
#define TICKSPERMINUTE  0x00001770 /*Number of ticks per minute*/
static INT32U HexMins;
RtcDateTime.Minutes = 0x25;
 HexMins =  (RtcDateTime.Minutes)* TICKSPERMINUTE);

The result from the above calculation is HexMins = 0x6330, but it appears that the upper two bytes of the 32-bit value are being optimized away.

If I adjust the calculation as follows:
 HexMins =  (INT32U)(RtcDateTime.Minutes)* (INT32U)TICKSPERMINUTE);

Then I see the correct result HexMins = 0x36330.  It appears that casting both parts of the equation as 32-bit unsigned long are necessary to make things work.  Is this an optimization that I can adjust or turn off?

Thanks,
Greg Smith

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
CompilerGuru
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
It's the language.
For C 0x00001770 has the same type as 0x1770, int. And multiplying ints results in a integer operation.
So either one of the two arguments has to be a long. The simplest way to make sure a constant is treated as long constant is to use an L at the end of the number. So 0x1770UL (unsigned long) will result in a 32 bit operation.

#define TICKSPERMINUTE  0x00001770UL /*Number of ticks per minute as unsigned long */

For details, ask google for "usual arithmetic conversions".

Daniel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GFSmith
Contributor II
That's what I needed to know, thanks!
G. Smith
0 Kudos
CompilerGuru
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
It's the language.
For C 0x00001770 has the same type as 0x1770, int. And multiplying ints results in a integer operation.
So either one of the two arguments has to be a long. The simplest way to make sure a constant is treated as long constant is to use an L at the end of the number. So 0x1770UL (unsigned long) will result in a 32 bit operation.

#define TICKSPERMINUTE  0x00001770UL /*Number of ticks per minute as unsigned long */

For details, ask google for "usual arithmetic conversions".

Daniel
0 Kudos