Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P&E ICD not listed in CW5.0 for HC(S)08

Jump to solution
w8abz
Contributor II
All,

Just received the DEMO9S08QG8 board.  I've installed CW 5.0 for HC(S)08, and installed the Service Pack for HC(S)08.  I'm working through the DEMO9S08QG8 Quick Start and getting stuck with Code Warrior.

I'm able to open the project, but in the pull-down just below the project-name tab, there is no option for the P&E ICD.  The only ones listed are:
 Full Chip Simulation
 P&E Multilink / Cyclone Pro
 SofTec HCS08
 HCS08 Serial Monitor

The Full Chip Simulation works fine.  If I select P&E Multilink / Cyclone Pro and click the debug icon, the debug window opens but locks up.  I have to right-click on the start bar item, click close and select End Now.  (DUH -- don't have a Multilink or Cyclone Pro.  I'm trying to use the USB BDM on the DEMO... board.)

The DEMO... board is connected by USB, and the drivers appear to be loading fine.  LEDs are lit (LED2 blinks, LED1 toggles with the switch), so the demo app is running on the MCU.  Jumpers look to be correct.

How do I get the "P&E ICD" option into the dropdown so I can connect to the demo board for debugging, etc.?

I'm new to the latest IDEs in general and Code Warrior in particular, so apologies if all this is documented someplace I haven't encountered yet.

TIA,
Dale, W8ABZ
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
w8abz
Contributor II

FC and all,

Well, I have a second hard drive for the work notebook (Dell).  I installed CW 5.0, SP and patch there, ran the demo board and it worked perfectly.  Went back to the home machine (a cobbled together set of parts, Athlon based), uninstalled everything, reinstalled everything (CW5, SP, patch), ran the demo build and the debugger locked up tight (had to kill hiwave).

It's not the preloaded program.  Once on the Dell, I was able to flash the demo board from the preloaded demo program (DEMO9S08QG8_test) to the other application (DEMO9S08QG8_APP) and run it.  Guess I'll be doing my development on the Dell....

Both systems are WinXP Pro, SP2 + latest updates.  The Dell is a Pentium 4m, the home system an Athlon.  Both are USB1.1, not 2.0.  USB was direct to the port on the Dell notebook, and via a powered (wall wart) USB hub on the home machine.  The home system also has McAfee suite installed.  My personal drive on the Dell just has windows firewall.

I can provide more hardware details if necessary, but apparently some difference between these two systems makes for the debugger working or not.

I have a USB 2.0 board I've been meaning to put into the home machine.  Maybe now is the time.  Hate to unplug and replug the rats' nest of cables, but I guess I'll have to!

FC, try the demo on another PC if you can.  And I'll be watching for P&E patches too.

Regards,

Dale, W8ABZ

Cleveland Heights, Ohio  USA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
FC
Contributor III
I also have the same problem.  Starting debug, the program locks up and has to be closed.  It cannot connect to the demo9s08qg8 board.  I have been waiting for a month for this board only to find it not to work.  The only success I had was the debugger to connect to the board, but fail to load because the target was still running.  I will contact P&E Micro to see if they have a patch. 

Perhaps the preloaded program has secured the flash?
0 Kudos
w8abz
Contributor II

FC and all,

Well, I have a second hard drive for the work notebook (Dell).  I installed CW 5.0, SP and patch there, ran the demo board and it worked perfectly.  Went back to the home machine (a cobbled together set of parts, Athlon based), uninstalled everything, reinstalled everything (CW5, SP, patch), ran the demo build and the debugger locked up tight (had to kill hiwave).

It's not the preloaded program.  Once on the Dell, I was able to flash the demo board from the preloaded demo program (DEMO9S08QG8_test) to the other application (DEMO9S08QG8_APP) and run it.  Guess I'll be doing my development on the Dell....

Both systems are WinXP Pro, SP2 + latest updates.  The Dell is a Pentium 4m, the home system an Athlon.  Both are USB1.1, not 2.0.  USB was direct to the port on the Dell notebook, and via a powered (wall wart) USB hub on the home machine.  The home system also has McAfee suite installed.  My personal drive on the Dell just has windows firewall.

I can provide more hardware details if necessary, but apparently some difference between these two systems makes for the debugger working or not.

I have a USB 2.0 board I've been meaning to put into the home machine.  Maybe now is the time.  Hate to unplug and replug the rats' nest of cables, but I guess I'll have to!

FC, try the demo on another PC if you can.  And I'll be watching for P&E patches too.

Regards,

Dale, W8ABZ

Cleveland Heights, Ohio  USA

0 Kudos
marc_paquette
Contributor V
For such an obscure problem, I can only suggest that you send a service request. There's a chance that the tech support team might know about this problem. At the very least, we'll have a record of it.

To submit a service request:

1. Go to http://freescale.com/support

2. In the Develop column, click "Technical Support."

3. Click "Submit a service request."

Thanks.

Marc.
0 Kudos
FC
Contributor III
Freescale tech support has indicated that CodeWarrior V5.0 is not guaranteed to work on Windows XP Home Edition.  I realized that after installation that  windows task manager was acting strange.  It did not perform like it should, I did a system restore and its back to normal.  I will be installing the service pack for CodeWarrior V3.1 for the qg8.  Hopefully it will work. 
0 Kudos