MC13213 EVK - Embedded bootloader - Download apps without BDM programmer?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC13213 EVK - Embedded bootloader - Download apps without BDM programmer?

Jump to solution
CecchiSandrone
Contributor II
I'm starting to develop with a MC13213 EVK. I read on manual that apps can be downloaded to the device without using a BDM programmer. To do this I followed instructions over the manual: 1) Download embedded bootloader on device with hiwave.exe 2) 4 Button + Reset sequence to activate flash programming (4 led on) 3) Download .s19 file via USB connection with test tool. The problem is that after the first time I can't do the 2) step to download other apps and as a consequence I receive message "Timeout waiting for download firmware to complete", maybe because the device isn't ready for flash programming (4 led off). Any suggestion?

Thanks for help.

--
Alban Edit: Please always include FSL Part Number + CW version in Message Subject line.

Message Edited by Alban on 2007-09-25 05:45 PM
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alban
Senior Contributor II
Notice for reader following this thread.

The CodeWarrior loading error is handled in
 How to generate automatically s19 with burner in the CodeWarrior board.

Cheers,
Alban.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
addiyi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Embedded Bootloader from Test Tool is obsolete and Freescale don't provide support for it. Try to use BDM for download the applications to the boards.

You can try to read application note AN2295: http://www.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/app_note/AN2295.pdf and will find how to download an applications without using BDM.

BR

Message Edited by addiyi on 2007-10-12 03:20 PM
0 Kudos
CecchiSandrone
Contributor II
Ok thanks :smileysad:. However the developing using bootloader could be faster than BDM. In fact with a USB Hub you can connect more devices at the same time and deployement of your code more faster. I hope Freescale will find a good solution for the bootloader's use.

Message Edited by Cecchi Sandrone on 2007-10-12 05:10 PM
0 Kudos
JimDon
Senior Contributor III
Well, if you are talking high volume production, the EVB was never intended for that anyway.

P&E makes a device that will store the code, serialize (that is create a unique serial number for each unit) and set the protection keys. With some software about 500 USD.
Link

0 Kudos
CecchiSandrone
Contributor II

P&E makes a device that will store the code, serialize (that is create a unique serial number for each unit) and set the protection keys. With some software about 500 USD.
Link

I don't understand exactly...can you explain better JimDon?
0 Kudos
JimDon
Senior Contributor III
Well, if you follow the link you will find that there a specific devices available at a low cost for high speed programming of these chips.

0 Kudos
CecchiSandrone
Contributor II
It seems that the correct button sequence to activate bootloader is: SW2 + SW4 then Reset, release Reset and then all others. The problem now is that while downloading the .s19 I receive "Firmware download failed - mismatch found on address=0x1600".
0 Kudos
Alban
Senior Contributor II
Notice for reader following this thread.

The CodeWarrior loading error is handled in
 How to generate automatically s19 with burner in the CodeWarrior board.

Cheers,
Alban.
0 Kudos
CecchiSandrone
Contributor II
I think that the problem is the custom application must be developed bootloader-oriented. So not all generic s19 apps can run with embedded bootloader.
0 Kudos
JimDon
Senior Contributor III
Any chance you over wrote the Bootloader?

If you go back an perfrom step 1 again (i.e. put the boot loader badck with the BDM) does it all work ?
0 Kudos
CecchiSandrone
Contributor II
Yes, obviously but the advantages disappear then. I would download my applications using embedded bootloader so I mustn't use the BDM (it's easier and faster I think).
0 Kudos
JimDon
Senior Contributor III
ok, so now we at least know the problem - the downloaded code is perhaps over writing
the bootloader or perhaps the boot loader erases part of itself.

I would submit a service request on this.
0 Kudos