How to copy a project and rename it.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to copy a project and rename it.

GeneGoff
Contributor III

How can you copy a project, then rename it?  If I copy the entire contents of a project into a new folder in Explorer, then import the project into CW, then try to right click on the project in the project pane and try to 'Rename' it, I get a 'refactor exception' error.  I'm running CW for MCU 10.4. 

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
6 Replies

Ben
Senior Contributor I

I just copy the project folder, rename it, then import the project to CW workspace.

I found it a simple way, and it works OK

0 Kudos

GeneGoff
Contributor III

Thank you.  The new copied project compiles fine, but there are many project settings files, debugger files, and the project name itself in the Project pane which still show the old project name.  If I right click on the project name and click Rename, this was when it gave me the refactor exception error.

0 Kudos

Ben
Senior Contributor I

Gene, I don't quite understand you: From my point of view, there are 2 reasons to copy a project and work on the new one:

1) if I want to freeze a project and work on a new revision. In this case, I don't mind that the project and files have the same name.I just rename the folder name.

2) If I want to start a new project, but want to use all teh system profile from an old project. The IDE enable you to start a new project and import the profile from another.

So, if you need a 3rd option, please clarify your needs.

Brgds,

0 Kudos

robertofrechill
Contributor III

Thanks! this help was useful :smileywink:

0 Kudos

GeneGoff
Contributor III

Thank you for helping, but when I right click on a project, Copy, then Paste it in the Projects pane, many source files do not get copied as viewed in Windows Explorer.  Consequently when I try to build there are many compile errors.

0 Kudos