cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CodeWarrior Issues

Jump to solution
mke_et
Contributor IV
These are mostly CodeWarrior issues.  While some are mostly just annoying, I'm wondering if others are experiencing the same thing.

I'm using CW 3.1 with the USB BDM pod to develope a product with the 9S12DP256 part.  I originally was using CW 1.0, then 2.0 with the LPT pod on a Windows XP system (but also running on a laptop with Win2K and a home desktop with Win98SE)

Anyway, when I start CW, I will OCCASIONALLY loose my last configuration of the screen.  I've never lost data, but it's a royal PITA to have to go back and redo everything to MIDI Child to get the display back the way I want it.

When I go into debug, I will program just fine, with no errors, but then occasionally get Illegal_BP errors when I go to run.  I know it's not (ok, pretty sure) a programming error because if I just click to reset and restart, the target starts up fine. 

Now, I HAVE had the USB pod to to sleep, and then it can't be found, but I think that's a power management issue with Windows XP.  When that happens, I just quit the debugger, pull the USB cable from the pod and reinsert it.  Windows sees the new USB device and everything runs.

These things happen almost exclusively on the Windows XP machine, but I'm not 100% certain of that.

Ok, when I'm in the debugger, sometimes if I put the cursor on one of my memory windows, I can get an error and the system hangs and I have to reset and restart.  If I 'halt' the target, it doesn't seem to cause the problem.

And finally... (for this post at least) I cannot see the paged flash at 8000h.  If the PPAGE is set, why isn't this visible?  Or does the BDM do something to prevent it?  I can see the flash just fine if I put my memory window up where it sits in flash address space.  And I can even see the code in that space.  (although I have seen  some wierd things happen sometimes if I try to set breakpoints there...)

Oh, a simple question...  When happens if I hit the number of files limit in SE?  I've been very careful to take things out the mcp file when they are 'done', but I'm constantly bumping 30 files and I hope it's benign if I go over the limit!

Mike
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
marc_paquette
Contributor V
Without knowing more information, one of my colleagues can only suggest that you install a service pack installation for CW12 3.1, which improves compatibility with P&E's USB ML-12 device and USB 2.0 cables. In the Freescale home page, search for "CWS12X V4.0 P&E USB2.0 Service Pack".

If the problem persists, please submit a service request.

1. Go to http://freescale.com/support

2. In the Develop column, click "Technical Support."

3. Click "Submit a service request."
Marc.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
marc_paquette
Contributor V
Thanks for the post--I appreciate your frankness.

Losing configurations: please submit a service request about this problem.

To submit a service request:

Viewing memory, especially flash: To make the memory window more responsive (at the risk of slowing down the debugger), try turning on the "Refresh memory when halting" option.

File limits in the IDE: The IDE is indeed "benign." It won't let you add objects to a project if the number of files, subtargets, and subprojects is at the maximum allowed by your license. If you open a project that contains more than the maximum number of objects, the IDE will not let you compile or link. The IDE does not otherwise adversely modify your project or the objects it refers to.

I hope I've answered your concerns and questions adequately. Let me know if you need more information.

Marc.
0 Kudos
mke_et
Contributor IV
Thanks for some of the tips.

I've tried the 'refresh memory when halted' option, and that works, but if I forget to 'clear' that box before quitting, then I cannot program and/or start the debugger the next time, so I think there's a conflict with how I set up the parameters.

One other thing...

I've had the USB-BDM just plain go away and not be found.  The blue light is on, but the program says there's nothing there.  It prompts me to enter LPT1 or a COM port, but it just won't find the USB device. 

I've tried cycling power on the target platform, since the pod must get at least something from the target power (otherwise why would it hang if I accidently have the target off until I turn it on) but that doesn't work when it gets like this.

I can get it back if I quit the debugger, unplug and plug the USB back in, then hit F5 from CW to rebuild/debug and start again.

I would normally say the USB was going into some kind of power management and it got out of sync, except that the blue LED is on the whole time (except when I unplug the USB of course!)

Mike

0 Kudos
marc_paquette
Contributor V
Without knowing more information, one of my colleagues can only suggest that you install a service pack installation for CW12 3.1, which improves compatibility with P&E's USB ML-12 device and USB 2.0 cables. In the Freescale home page, search for "CWS12X V4.0 P&E USB2.0 Service Pack".

If the problem persists, please submit a service request.

Marc.
0 Kudos