Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't run my application using CW10.5 using P&E Micro Multilink Universal

leomarziliano
Contributor I

Hello,

I'm relatively new to using Freescale tools so please be patient

I've ported an application from a previous CW version (7.3 I think) to CW10.5 and now I'm trying to download the load to my target using the USB P&E Multilink Universal. I can connect to my target (has a V3 MCF5327 on it) with no issue. It takes awhile to download the load to the target, as compare to the previous CW tool. While downloading, I keep seeing this message to the console window:

Starting 3rd party flash programming...
ERR: Warning: Programming algorithm not found for this device.

The load gets in the target eventually but when trying to run it using the Eclipse debugger, it just suspends after executing a couple of instructions...

I don't understand why the tool is starting to do flash programming when I'm loading in the application into RAM. Tried to find in the Eclipse menus how to disable flash programming but no success.

Could the attempt by the tool to flash the device be the root cause of my problem or it can be something else ?

Thanks,

Leo

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies

Wlodek_D_
Senior Contributor II

Hello,

Thank you for your post, however please consider moving it to the right community place (e.g. CodeWarrior Development Tools ) to get it visible for active members.

For details please see general advice Where to post a Discussion?

Thank you for using Freescale Community.

0 Kudos

leomarziliano
Contributor I

Ok. Done.

BTW, the CW10.5 I'm using is the free version. I just realized that this version is data and program restricted to 128KB for Coldfire V3 on debugger/programmer. The code I'm trying to load is way above that limit. Could it be the cause of the problems I'm having ?

Thanks,

Leo 

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Leo,

CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers v10.6 is the last version.

It integrates the development tools for the :

ColdFire®, ColdFire+, DSC, Kinetis, Qorivva, RS08, S08 and S12Z architectures

into a single product based on the Eclipse open development platform.

This version is running on Host platforms

Microsoft® Windows XP 32-bit and 64-bit (Professional Edition)

Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit (Home Premium Edition and Professional Edition)

Microsoft Windows 8 32-bit and 64-bit (Home Premium Edition and Professional Edition)

You can download an evaluation on the web site:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=CW-MCU10

Back to your problem.

To check the connection, I recommend you to create an example project according to your hardware configuration via the Project Wizard.

In this case you should be able to:

-> build the project,

-> launch the debugger and load application.

Just in case you will find attached a temp license file for MCU V10.5/10.6.

Regards

Pascal

0 Kudos

leomarziliano
Contributor I

Also, how about the data and program restricted to 128KB for Coldfire V3 on debugger/programmer on the free version I'm using ? Do you have an answer to that and could it be part of my problem..

Thanks,

Leo

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Leo,

It's the compiler restriction for Coldfire V2-V4:

Special Edition -> C source-level debugger/programmer C code and data size restricted to

• Kinetis E, L, M, V Series: 64 KB
  • S08/RS08: 64KB
  • S12Z: 64KB
  • V1 ColdFire, ColdFire+: 64 KB
  • DSC: 64K
  • Kinetis K Series: 128 KB
  • V2-4 ColdFire: 128 KB
  • Qorivva: 512 KB

Please use the temp license I sent you in previous post.

To check the PC and hardware (including interface), the project wizard example is perfect.

With this example you could check/valid your hardware configuration.

this is the key point.

regards

Pascal

0 Kudos

leomarziliano
Contributor I

Pascal,

Ok, i did what you suggested ans created a test BareBoard project using the Project Wizard and I can easily download the test code into the target, do step by step executions, which is a good start.

I'll try to do some experimentation using this test project as example and look at the differences between our application and the test project so it can give me some hints about what could be preventing me to do the same thing with our application...

If you have other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks again. I'll keep posted,

Leo

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Leo,

Your project was developed and running under CW for Coldfire V7.2 (last classic version).

Please refer to the 2 ANs:

AN4727, Import project from CW clasic to CW MCU v10 4 CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers v10.4

http://cache.freescale.com/files/soft_dev_tools/doc/app_note/AN4727.pdf

AN4104, Converting ColdFire Projects to CodeWarrior Development Studio for Microcontrollers V10.0

http://cache.freescale.com/files/soft_dev_tools/doc/app_note/AN4104.pdf

this could help you to understand what/where is the problem with your application.

Regards

Pascal

0 Kudos

leomarziliano
Contributor I

Another thing,

Since I can put into the target the application binary load, I've tried to let it boot up and attach the debugger while the application is running. That's works just fine. I can halt the execution and do single step execution (although this is a multi-threaded application and it is kind of difficult to debug that way)

Leo

0 Kudos

leomarziliano
Contributor I

Pascal,

Here where am I so far:

• If I generate an executable from CW and load it on the target by using our custom made tools, the load runs fine. I did not mentioned it earlier but just to make things in context, I'm letting you know.
  • I realized that we do recompile the application using CW10.5 but with using Freescale libraries (MQX3.7, PegPro2.3.11, bsp and some others) that were compiled by using a previous version of CW (or maybe by some other way, will double check). Usually, we should have everything compiled with the same tool chain. What's your take on this ? Should we recompile all the libraries with CW10.5 tool chains ? The things, the binary generated and loaded into the target runs, so if it was something related to libraries we should have notice it from the starts...
  • As in previous point, our load runs on MQX. Can the debugger maybe aware of this (I think there's a setting in the connection ) or it just does not matter ?

Thank you for your time,

Leo

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Leo,

To answer your questions:

A- I can not comment it.

B- By default we recommend to rebuild all application including lib with the same tool chain.

In case of MQX for instance, to avoid problem we recommend to rebuild it.

This is true for all libs.

C- MQX contains libraries.

There is 1 link between MQX and debugger: MQX OS is defined in OS Awareness inside the Debugger settings.

Now under Eclipse, there are features (Tools) associated to MQX.

For info about them, please have a look to \Freescale_MQX_4_1\doc\tools\cw folder.

The manuals:

MQX_RuntimeTAD_Getting_Started.pdf

MQX_PerfTool_Getting_Started.pdf

MQX_CW10_Getting_Started.pdf

Regards

Pascal

0 Kudos

leomarziliano
Contributor I

You are referring to MQX 4.1 it seems, but we use MQX 3.70.

Is there any documentations explaining how to migrate all MQX code into CW10.5 and re build it ? I've found the document Getting Started with Freescale MQX™ RTOS but it is a little outdated and it refers to CW 10.1. Is there a more current version of that sort of document around ?

Leo

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Leo,

The version of doc is not really relevant here.

the process is the same.

MQX V4.1 was designed for last version MCU V10.6 and V10.5.

Personally I've never tried to build MQX V3.7 lib under MCU V10.5.

By default the MQX contains the source code only.

The user must build the MQX lib depending on his project target.

Attached you will find the file delivered under MQX V4.1.

Pascal

0 Kudos

leomarziliano
Contributor I

Pascal,

Thanks for the document.

At some point, it explains how to create a new project using the project wizard for CW 10.1. It refers to a MQX 3.7 Projects wizard that I don't seem to have in CW10.5. I have all MQX plugins install in CW but I'm at lost where I could create such a project using the wizard. Doing by hand will be a nightmare, consume a lot of time and be very error prone. Any suggestions ?

Thanks again,

Leo

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Leo,

MQX is included in the File ¦ New only if MQX is installed after CW for MCU.

If I'm right you've installed MCU V10.5 after MQX V3.7.

So the MQX 3.7 can not be listed in the project wizard.

there is a way to solve it:

++++++++++++++++++++

5.2.2 CodeWarrior 10.x Task Aware Debugger plug-in

Freescale MQX™ RTOS introduces a new version of Task Aware Debugger Plug-in (TAD) for CodeWarrior 10.x Development Studio.

Installing CodeWarrior 10.x TAD and New Project Wizard Plug-in

TAD plug-in DLL is installed into the selected CodeWarrior tool automatically during Freescale MQX™ RTOS setup process. In case plug-in was not properly installed (for example to a newly installed CodeWarrior studio, perform the following steps to install TAD manually:

Close The CodeWarrior 10.x IDE
Locate the
tools\codewarrior_extensions\CW MCU v10.x directory in the Freescale MQX™ RTOS installation folder (by default C:\Program Files\Freescale\Freescale MQX x.y) Navigate to <MQX install dir>\tools\codewarrior_extensions\CW MCU v10.x directory
Open the command like console and execute the command:
install_cw10_plugin.bat <CW10.x install dir>

Note that the typical CodeWarrior 10.x installation folder is C:\Program Files\Freescale\CW MCU v10.x.

Re-start the CodeWarrior 10.x IDE.
Open “Debug Configurations” settings of your application project by selecting the Run / Debug Configurations menu. In the Debugger Configuration panel, select proper Launch Configuration For selected Launch Configuration, go to the “Debugger” tab and then activate the “OS Awareness” sub-tab.

In the “Target OS” drop-down list box, select the MQX OS for your target platform.

++++++++++++++++++++

There is another problem with MQX V3.7.

I don't know if this version can be used with MCU V10.5.

See below extract of release note delivered on MCU V10.5:

++++++++++++++++++++

Appendix B: Freescale MQX™ RTOS Integration

1 MQX 3.8 was developed to work with CW MCU v10.1. It is not supported in CW MCU v10.5.

2 MQX v3.8.1 was developed to work with CW MCU v10.2. It has been tested and confirmed to work with CW MCU v10.5.

3 MQX 4.0 was developed to work with CW MCU v10.2 and CW MCU v10.3. It has been tested and confirmed to work with CW MCU v10.5.

4 MQX 4.0.1 was developed to work with CW MCU v10.4. It has been tested and confirmed to work with CW MCU v10.5.

5 MQX 4.0.2 was developed to work with CW MCU v10.4 and CW MCU v10.5.

++++++++++++++++++++

To resume the situation:

- don't know if you can use MQX V3.7 with MCU V10.5,

- MCU V10.1 was designed (fully tested) for MQX V3.7,

- if you want to use MCU V10.5 or V10.6 we recommned you to switch to the last MQX (MQX V4.1).

Regards

Pascal

0 Kudos

leomarziliano
Contributor I

Thanks again for your reply.

Does MQX4.1 is supported on the MCF5327 Coldfire ?

Leo

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Leo,

MQX V4.1 is not supporting MCF5327.

I've re-installed MQX V3.7, and the MCF5327 was not supported on this version.

Regards

Pascal

0 Kudos

leomarziliano
Contributor I

In order to use that new license, should I just rename the current license and copy the one you gave me and save it to the current license location, or is there any more steps to do ?

I want to make sure this is the proper steps to update a license in CW cause this is what I did...

Leo

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Leo,

By default the license is located in the installation folder:

\CW MCU v10.6\MCU\license.dat

This is true for older version tools: all CW for MCU V10.x

You must name the file to license.dat and put it or replace the previous one in the  \CW MCU v10.6\MCU\ folder.

Pascal

0 Kudos

leomarziliano
Contributor I

Pascal,

Thank you for your reply.

I don't understand why switching to 10.6 will solve my problem. Unless there's was updates relevant to what I'm trying to do ?

I'll try making a simple project and debugging it on target, as your suggestion. I may try using 10.6, depending on the outcome.

I'll keep you posted.

Leo

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Leo,

I don't think the MCU V10.6 will solve "your problem".

This was just to inform you a more recent is available.

In case of new development, it could be interesting to use the last version (bugs fix, improvement, new features, etc ...).

Regards

Pascal

0 Kudos