Can I use CodeWarrior to debug code for the motorola 6808... yes the 6808.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use CodeWarrior to debug code for the motorola 6808... yes the 6808.

Jump to solution
Old8Bit
Contributor I

Okay... I need to write code for the motorola 6808 (yep... going back about 23-30 years).  By any chance does CodeWarrior support (or has it ever supported in earlier versions) the 6808?

Thanks so much!

Tim

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
rocco
Senior Contributor II

Hi Old8bit,

Yes, I remember Codeview. It was a Microsoft product and pretty innovative for the time. I liked it a lot. But the PC and DOS ran on an 8088, so it was simply a matter of providing software.

To develop for an 6808, you would need to be either running on an 6808, or using an in-circuit-emulator. The Exorciser ran on a 6809, which allowed some debugging capability. But you really needed the ICE circuit board and the adapter cables to debug an 6808 in-circuit.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It started with HC05 and HC11. Too bad that 6808 was not covered.

Erich

0 Kudos
Old8Bit
Contributor I

I'm guessing that the HC08 is not equivalent to the 6808? 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
rocco
Senior Contributor II

Hi Old8bit,

I'm guessing that the HC08 is not equivalent to the 6808? 

No, it's not even close.

The 6808 was a 6802, but without internal ram. The 6802 was a 6800 with an internal clock generator. So a 6800 assembler/linker should work.

Back in those days, you needed to buy a Motorola Exor-ciser development system in order to code for the 6808. I still have mine in storage.

The old Heathkit Hero-1 robots used 6808 processors, so a search for Heathkit may also turn up what you need.

0 Kudos
Old8Bit
Contributor I

Thanks Rocco... I assume the Motorola Exor-ciser development system is a hardware based system for in-circuit debugging? 

Seems like there should have been at least a software based debugger for just stepping through your code.  I remember coding for the intel 8088 and we used a piece of DOS software called codeview (I think) as a debugger.

Thanks for the tip on the Hero-1... I'll do some searching. 

0 Kudos
rocco
Senior Contributor II

Hi Old8bit,

Yes, I remember Codeview. It was a Microsoft product and pretty innovative for the time. I liked it a lot. But the PC and DOS ran on an 8088, so it was simply a matter of providing software.

To develop for an 6808, you would need to be either running on an 6808, or using an in-circuit-emulator. The Exorciser ran on a 6809, which allowed some debugging capability. But you really needed the ICE circuit board and the adapter cables to debug an 6808 in-circuit.

0 Kudos
Old8Bit
Contributor I

Thanks Rocco... that makes sense.  

Tim

0 Kudos