cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CW 10.3 feedback

CarlFST60L
Senior Contributor II

Hi All,

Before I start, my Inbox was recently deleted, so I lost all my Freescale contacts... yay....

Was not quite sure how to give feedback regarding the CW10.3 release, so I will just post my feedback here, please join in.

I am using MQX3.7, MCF52259EVB / DEMO / TWR type projects.

Compared to 10.2, it has some buttons, check box's and better error results, otherwise, exactly the same super slow debugging tool as 10.2

Here is what I have seen in the first 10 minutes of use:

- it takes 3 minutes to program a 512Kb project (MRAM and FLASH) from the time I hit debug to the time I hit run, absolutely not acceptable.

- the 'download task fail' dialog appears after each download even though it works perfect every time

- the download task errors I get every time are from the TTF files having premature EOF's... it doesnt fix them or allow you to fix this, but its nice to know every time I load it that it detected premature EOF's

- have to restart CW EVERY TIME before each download

In summary, all I want is a compile, download and debug, this product completely fails on 2 of these primary requirements...

If someone at freescale would like to webex my machine I am happy for you to see all this... Last I remeber you guys arnt allowed to actually look at real work computers... lol...

Labels (1)
65 Replies

chrisskonieczny
Contributor I

I am using "CodeWarrior Development Studio for eTPU" v 10.3 and a trivial code, after debugger start it does not know how to display ANY value - shows "NO value available" and when dragged to WATCH WINDOW says "Error(s)_ during evaluation"). Debuggers steps through code but I can not watch any value ! So it is useless.

no_watchjpg.jpg

I also (sometimes, not always) get error when starting debugger :

reset_bkpt.jpg

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Chris,

This post was linked to CW for MCU V10.3.

You're using CW for Etpu V10.3.

This is not the same tool.

I recommend you to create a new post for this question.

Have a great day,
Pascal
NXP Technical Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

chrisskonieczny
Contributor I

can you point me to the START NEW POST - I can not find anything like that

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Chris,

Go to Using NXP Community

You will find all info you need.

At this page or selecting a specific community box you need to click on "Start a discussion"

Have a great day,
Pascal
NXP Technical Support

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

CarlFST60L
Senior Contributor II

So, the active project and the tick box's to include files in the build have just gone missing like old times. Any idea how to get them back? How do I disable a file for the build without the check box?

missingshit.jpg

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

about "How do I disable a file for the build without the check box?":

You can do that per file using the properties menu, then C/C++ Build > Exclude resource from build.

More details in http://mcuoneclipse.wordpress.com/2012/04/16/symbol-defined-or-not-thats-the-question/

Erich

CarlFST60L
Senior Contributor II

How do I find the release notes for the latest CW10.3? How will I know when they release the patch? We are desperately waiting for the MCF52259 MRAM programming bug fix so we can finally upgrade.

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Carl,

MCU10.3 (b121211) release notes are attached.

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Your screenshot shows the 'Project Explorer' view, which is the standard CDT/Eclipse view. That view does not have that capability. Switch to the 'CodeWarrior Projects' view (right hand side of your screenshot).

BTW: to enable/disable columns, you can use the small triangle:

2621_2621.png

Hope this helps,

Erich

CarlFST60L
Senior Contributor II

Thanks on both accounts :smileywink: I accidentally closed it and opened the wrong view... not quite sure why they have two options, 1 that has features and one that is dumb... but anyway... Its back!

0 Kudos

CarlFST60L
Senior Contributor II

This is a common crash... talks about the driver returning an error

Erasing Sector 0x0003A000 to 0x0003AFFF  

Erasing Sector 0x0003B000 to 0x0003BFFF  

Erasing Sector 0x0003C000 to 0x0003CFFF  

Erasing ...  

Erase Command Succeeded   

cmdwin::fl::write

Beginning Operation ...   

-------------------------

Programming file C:\Users\carln.SURETEK\workspace\MC5P38016079\MC5P_IMAGE1\MC5P38016079.elf  

Auto-detection is successful.  

File is of type Elf Format.  

Downloading Flash Device Driver ...  

Reading flash ID ...  

Auto-detection is successful.  

File is of type Elf Format.  

Downloading 0x00000418 bytes to be programmed at 0x00000000  

Executing program ....  

<e>Error:  Program failed.   Flash driver reports the following error(s): The flash device algorithm was interrupted during execut

ion.

Please check if the flash base address is correct or if there are any flash devices mapped inside the selected memory space.

If a custom target initialization file was used then check the following parameters: flash base address, flash bank size and flash

bank port size.

Please enable Verify Target Memory Writes in Target Configuration to check that the algorithm downloads correctly. If you are down

loading the algorithm to DDR try checking your DDR configuration.</e>

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Carl,

I'm using the 52259 in multiple boards/combinations, and not facing what you show here. Not sure what is causing this on your end. I have sent you an forum invite so I can help you directly (at least what my time zone allows). Will that work for you?

Thanks,

Erich

0 Kudos

CarlFST60L
Senior Contributor II

Ok, so now when it 'locks up' and I kill DE.exe as above, the real errors may be seen here? or maybe some more hints for the developers as to what is the underlying cause? Who knows, but this might help

DE KILL.jpg

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

What you should see after killing the DE.exe is a dialog from eclipse telling you that the CORBA connection to the debugger is gone (well, that's what it is, we killed the de.exe). If that happened during download/flash programming, then another dialog should come up telling that the programming failed (which makes sense too).

But your two dialogs are something different. They let me think that there could be some underlying (Java???) issues on your machine, really hard to tell. I have sent you an invite so I could look at your machine configuration (in case this helps).

0 Kudos

injunear1
Contributor IV

Carl,

"I feel your pain". ;-)

I spent 5-6 hours today trying to run, uninstall, reinstall, and run CodeWarrior 10.3. I spent hours waiting for the IDE to do something (anything) after I clicked something. At one point, when I clicked anywhere on the menu bar, the program went into busy mode for about ten minutes and then came back with nothing accomplished. At other times it took as much as an hour for the program to be ready to use after starting. Then one click anywhere, and it would be busy for another half hour.

So far, even though I am using a computer that matches the specs, the program is unusable.

And I really really want to start programming my little Freedom boards because they seem ideal for the products we are trying to bring out.

What is a lowly programming engineering technician to do?

0 Kudos

CarlFST60L
Senior Contributor II

I think its time they seriously look at paid external testers... $100 per bug find, crash or error dialogue sounds about fair.

0 Kudos

injunear1
Contributor IV

I used to be a full time bug tester for income tax software and paying by bug found isn't really practical. However, paying $10-20 an hour for earnest bug testing is realistic. They could hire people around the world to do the work at home. They could easily use key logging software to insure time is legitimately spent and to keep track of how the bugs are discovered.

0 Kudos

injunear1
Contributor IV

IN FACT ...

how hard would it be to include a key logging option in CodeWarrior so bugs can be better identified?

0 Kudos

CarlFST60L
Senior Contributor II

Would probably be easier to just test out exception handlers properly : /

I was thinking that maybe Codewarrior should use PE Micro engineers to write and test the debug interface because all the stuff that is made stand alone by PE Micro is awesome.

0 Kudos

injunear1
Contributor IV

If I were running a business, I would not hesitate to hire outside contractors to make my product excellent, especially if my product were unusable. In fact we are doing that right now with a revolutionary way to ease back problems.

Freescale, we know you are really trying to make a sellable product. But, is there anything your management can do to let us do our jobs with your products in a timely fashion?

0 Kudos