cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8-16 bit: Can't get USB BDM to work on new install

Jump to solution
mke_et
Contributor IV
Our 'workshop' machine barfed. Well, not totally, but enough that I want to get off it before it becomes terminal.

So, out came plastic and now there's a new E-Machines 3Gig Celeron machine with Windows XP Home sitting there.

Ok, took all the source and everything over. Then installed the CW 3.1 that came with my BDMs on the thing. Then the updates. Then the driver for USB. I copied over my custom license file.

Great. Builds, developement, and assembly work great. And fast.

But I can't find the 'target' to program anything. The Hardware Manager says the BDM is installed and working, and it appears under the Jungo the way it should. But when I go to do anything it says the device is missing or may not have power.

I've tried everything to make it work. It's not critical yet, as I still have the old machine sitting there, flakey as it is, and it still works. (I went back to check) But it's like playing the lottery to get that thing to boot. Besides, it's an old Win98 machine at 500Mhz and sooooo sssllloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

Mike

Message Edited by CrasyCat on 2007-04-13 01:37 PM

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
mke_et
Contributor IV
We finally got it working. Have no idea why it failed, or why it started working.

We tried reinstalling stuff. We tried changing to other targets. We were just about to uninstall the whole thing and start over and after the last reset (we must have reset the machine 10 times) it worked. So far it's stayed working.

I can only guess that it was one of those drivers where step 1 makes step 2 work after a reset, and then step 2 (only after it works) makes step 3 work after a reset...

I swear, it must have been 10 resets.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hi,

If you used several USB devices from this family, the trick could be it doesn't take the good one.

On the list in CW, try and select another "USB-PExxxxx".

Personally I wrote the number on the box itself because I was bored having the guess which time if the one I connected was 5011387 or 4872256, if you see what I mean.

Cheers,
Alban.
mke_et
Contributor IV
We finally got it working. Have no idea why it failed, or why it started working.

We tried reinstalling stuff. We tried changing to other targets. We were just about to uninstall the whole thing and start over and after the last reset (we must have reset the machine 10 times) it worked. So far it's stayed working.

I can only guess that it was one of those drivers where step 1 makes step 2 work after a reset, and then step 2 (only after it works) makes step 3 work after a reset...

I swear, it must have been 10 resets.
0 Kudos