Recovering a HCS08 project built with CW 10.6.4 to 10.7

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering a HCS08 project built with CW 10.6.4 to 10.7

jes
Contributor I

Had a hard disk crash recently and had to download CW Eclipse 10.7 to replace the 10.6.4 version that I'd used on the PC on which disk crashed.

Trying to port the project created for 10.6.4 into new 10.7 environment.  Was expecting this to be a simple matter of just copying the original project folder structure and its contents to the new drive and just clicking on the project file.  However, I haven't been able to locate the project file (what extension does it have) for the project to be ported in the legacy code or perhaps 10.7 doesn't like it or has changed it?  .  How can I recreate/import the original project without having to jump through hoops?   Last time this happened on a legacy HCS08 project created with CW 7.3 I had to essentially create a new project, importing each and every previous project file.  I'd like to avoid this laborious task since that took over 3 weeks to resolve with CW technical staff and the slow response times by the staff.  Additionally, this required extensive retesting of the legacy project since I couldn't be assured the image created with the new 10.6.4 platform was sufficiently similar to the original image created with CW 7.3.

Assuming you can help me recreate, where does CW 10.7 place the project folder for each project?  I'd expect it to be at the root of each project folder but this doesn't seem to be the case for 10.6.4 and may have resulted in this difficulty in recreating my platform and project.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

jes
Contributor I

Also received following error when attempting to compile/link.  Note that this project was previously compiled/linked successfully using CW 10.6.4.  Searched for some info in the available Help of IDE and, well, it is woefully inadequate in describing any of the necessities to debug/investigate anything but the most trivial of features.  Why is the error reporting lack of make rule with apparent reference to C: drive when the project is apparently saving back to the I: drive, ie our network drive?  Why should something as easy as upgrading from 10.6.4 to 10.7 on a new PC pose such difficulties?  I'd have to say that CW development certainly hasn't given much thought to painless transfer to new developement systems and/or upgrades to another version.  This is usually the reason I avoid upgrading to new versions like the plague.  It is just too much of a hassle.  But in this case I had no choice.

**** Build of configuration FLASH for project HCS08-HV-CTL ****

"C:\\Freescale\\CW MCU v10.7\\gnu\\bin\\mingw32-make" -j8 all
mingw32-make: *** No rule to make target `C:/CodeWarrior/Workspace/HCS08-HV-CTL/Project_Headers/../Sources/AS1.c', needed by `Sources/AS1_c.obj'.  Stop.

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

when you import a project to CW, if select "copy project to workspace", the project file(.project) and all the files IN and UNDER the project folder will be ported into your workspace. But if the project links the folders/files that are not under the project folder, these linked folders/files will not be ported by importer.

pastedImage_1.png

if you don't select "Copy projects into workspace", all the project files and folders will remain on the locations as they are.

specifically, you can right click on the file from CW IDE, "properties", then view the file location:

pastedImage_2.png

here is where to check if the project files setting correct.

pastedImage_3.png

If you create a new project in your local drive, we can link source files from other network drive without problem in CW.

But from my experience, we couldn't work on another network project from other computer normally. Thus, I strongly recommend you copy the project and source files folders to your local disk and work on the project locally.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

jes
Contributor I

Thanks.  Working from a local drive was exactly what I wanted to do, but missing that single check box resulted in all of the follow-up questions and problems.  Proving once again that a warm body on the phone could have answered this in less than a minute.  INSTEAD IT TOOK FOUR DAYS!  The Help available in the IDE does not describe the interface in enough detail to have otherwise discovered this.  I'd recommend NXP/CodeWarrior personnel address both shortcomings.

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

you said " but missing that single check box ", what single check box you missed?

regarding to you need phone support, community can't do this. You can try to submit a case to NXP support team with your phone number included. and ask if there is an engineer in your region talking with you.

https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-329745 

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

jes
Contributor I

you said " but missing that single check box ", what single check box you missed?

The one you mentioned above.

pastedImage_2.png

All subsequent errors in compile/link were avoided when project imported with this checkbox, which, by the way, I hadn't been able to find any reference to in the 'Help' available in the IDE.  The entire IDE is remarkably devoid of explanations (or perhaps I haven't 'hunted' them down yet) on how to proceed on your own, when Tech Support fails to provide a timely and complete response.  Like I wrote earlier, one minute on phone with warm body vs a long and protracted 4-day exchange with tech support with my fingers crossed that the forthcoming explanation will be complete solution.  Which do you think is more efficient?  How much time did you spend reading the original support request, answering - incompletely, following up again, perhaps reacquainting with problem (and possibly now having lost sight of the original problem), etc, etc?  BIG WASTE OF TIME.  We'd be out of business if our tech support were this unresponsive.  Customers move to more accommodating and responsive manufacturers (and development environments).

That said, sometimes providing a detailed account in writing allows tech support to study the matter in detail.  However, the option of a phone call should always be there, especially for what was such an easily solved problem.  Then again, the miss of the check box caused all problems subsequently reported above.

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Under the CW10.7 install, there is document CodeWarrior Common Features Guide.pdf. Selection "Copy projects into workspace" is mentioned in NOTE, as I highlight below:

pastedImage_1.png

As I said before, when select "Copy projects into workspace", all the files IN and UNDER the project folder will be imported into your workspace. and you work on the project files from your workspace. Otherwise, all the project files are still in the original folder as they were.

As you said, in your project, your project can only work with checking "Copy projects into workspace" option. I think this should associate with your project file path setting, I guess your project path setting relies on the workspace path. here is of where to check the path setting. pls check same on your side.

pastedImage_2.png

In the end, let me take opportunity to explain why community can't provide phone support to you:

Normally the company provides two kinds of technical support. FREE support and PAID support.

Paid support is always the fastest and most efficient. but this is not my scope, I don't talk more it here.

When our customers post question to community or submit a case to NXP support (How to submit a new question for NXP Support ),  they use our free support service.

Community support is a kind of visitable support to public. our purpose is not only solve individual questions, but also post all the working process and solution to public. Thus when other mass customer has similar problem, they can search it out and refer it to their design. although it 's not immediate support, but it can not only help individual but also potentially help dozens or more customers behind. This is why we must input all the working process to community word by word. and this is one of the most important purpose of why we create community.

NXP also has free individual support, as I suggest you in my previous response, to submit a case to support team (How to submit a new question for NXP Support ). You need fill some item for submit the question but you have to.  the support team is global team, You can try to request if there is an available support engineer can talk to you for your region.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

0 Kudos

jes
Contributor I

Is there a phone support line for this subject matter?  The turnaround time to receive an incomplete response followed by more questions, more delay, etc just does not work.  A multi-day, and in past multi-week, exchange is just way too inefficient use of anyone's time.  This could probably be resolved in a 15 minute phone call.

0 Kudos

jes
Contributor I

Jennie,

I followed video (after replaying and pausing a number of times as it sped through actions) but needs clarification.  In the Import Projects, Select root directory radio button, I browsed to location of original project's location that had been saved on a network drive.  I then clicked Finish and project appeared to be successfully imported.  However, where has the project been saved and where is the associated source code?  I had previously copied the project root directory and its sub-contents over to C: drive, replicating the directory structure that was previously there (expecting that just clicking on the .project file would be enough to open IDE, as it is with other CW IDEs, with this project but all that did was open the flat file .project for editing).  I had also edited some files outside of the CW IDE using Notepad++ to get a jump start on changes to the project.  I edited two files.  However, if I click on either of the edited files from within the IDE, the original unedited files are displayed in IDE.  My originally edited files in the folder I replicated prior to importing show the proper time and date using explorer, ie very recent.  Where has the Import Project 'wizard' placed the imported project?  Why is this info not readily available from the IDE?  Has it imported into a workspace named by its own method?  Certainly isn't in the workspace that I had created prior to importing.  If I subsequently click on File->Save As... for the file I had edited outside of IDE (which displays it unedited in IDE, suggesting it resides elsewhere) 'Enter or select the parent folder:' displays HCS08-HV-CTL/Sources.  This is an incomplete path.  Where is the complete path available?  I assume it is using my originally designated C:\CodeWarrior Eclipse\workspace path as a prefix to the above HCS08-HV-CTL/Sources path.  But the fact that both files are shown without the edits that are indeed on that path, suggest the path is elsewhere.  Please explain what complete path is and, if indeed they are one and the same, why CW IDE shows the unedited versions.

Please take the time to answer carefully and completely as this back and forth wastes a lot of time.  Thank you.

0 Kudos

jes
Contributor I

PS  Discovered that the original two files that I edited remain on local C: drive apparently unaffiliated with the imported project.  If I modify the same files in the CW IDE then their revised versions are actually on the network drive from which the root directory in above explanation was used.  This is unexpected and confusing.  I would expect that the importer would ask the user where the imported project should subsequently be destined.  Instead, this apparently is merely opening the project in the specified root directory, in this case on the network drive which is NOT what I think anyone would want.  I had originally copied the contents of the specified root directory directly to the C: drive and attempted to import from there following the instructions you originally provided.  However, this failed to import properly.  Please explain how I can create/import the project from a LOCAL drive successfully.

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

CW10 project file is with extension .project.

user can port 10.6.4 project to 10.7 directly. see attached video of how to import.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

0 Kudos