cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing CodeWarrior Classic 6.3 on Windows 11 (or 10) 64-bit

RodneyMcGee
Contributor IV

CodeWarrior 6.3 is for most RS08, S08, ColdFire V1 Processors*

*Not compatibile with (S08: RN, RNA, PA, PT, Kinetis (including Tower), ColdFire V2 ...)

This post describes installing CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers (Classic IDE) - RS08/HC(S)08, ColdFire V1 v6.3

on 64-bit modern versions of Microsoft's operating systems e.g. Windows 7, Windows 10, Windows 11. 

Some people could argue to use the Eclipse-based CodeWarrior and they have their points (some devices and situations require it). On the other hand Freescale long knew that Eclipse-based CodeWarrior is cumbersome. Here is a great article (now only available by archive since it was deleted) article by James Trudeau (formally of Freescale) about his teams unfinished but thoughtful effort: CodeWarrior 10.3 a new perspective.

Also for those who fondly remember programming Motorola parts with an Metrowerks IDE, give this a shot.

Typically you will get the error "CodeWarrior Development Studio for Microcontrollers v6.3 is not compatible with Windows XP 64-bit installations" when trying to install under Windows 7/10/11 x64.

These methods are UNOFFICIAL and are not supported by NXP

– Do not contact NXP support for these methods. 

NEW METHOD - ONE STEP :

UNOFFICIAL community version Special Edition CodeWarrior "6.3.2" 

Download and install here: 

https://www.eecis.udel.edu/~tmcgee/community-projects/freescale/

Includes all updates, fixes, and service packs

• For P&E Micro - just check the box for the install options - no extra steps needed
  • For USBDM - just check the box for the install options - use the USBDM firmware updater (start menu) if needed 

DONE – NO EXTRA STEPS NEEDED 

Any issues? Ask questions in this forum.

3 Replies

joaobortotcadore
Contributor I
Thanks for sharing. Awesome work by these academics, works like a charm. NXP should pay royalties to this university for making this UNOFFICIAL version so well made and functional. Two clicks to install and soon you have the IDE compiling and debugging legacy projects. In my opinion, the moderators should pin this post on the forum.
0 Kudos

StanoR
Contributor I

Great job! Thank you.

0 Kudos

KingleyMarve
Contributor I

Hi! I appreciate you sharing this valuable insight! Thnx a lot for sharing it! It's really helpful.

0 Kudos