How do I prevent PE V3.02 for HCS12(X) from auto-generating the .PRM file in CW version 5.9.0 ?  Disabling it in CPU->"Build Options"  has no effect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I prevent PE V3.02 for HCS12(X) from auto-generating the .PRM file in CW version 5.9.0 ?  Disabling it in CPU->"Build Options"  has no effect.

PaulJ
Contributor II

I am trying to create a simple project for Frescale HCS12X with XGATE.  I'm basically creating a "hello world" type app that will run SCI1 in loopback mode.  I'm also using P&E USB Multilink Interface rev. C.

Even though I uncheck the checkbox in PE under "Cpu:MC9S12XDP512BCFV" under the "Build options" tab where it says "Generate PRM file," I have selected "No," AND I have removed Master.prm from my project, it is still generating the Master.prm file and adding it back to my project.

Any thoughts on this are welcome.

thanks,

Paul

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

PaulJ
Contributor II

Ok, I have partially explained my woes trying to get my PE-based project to load and debug.  I had made a copy of my project directory, and apparently it was still referencing the old project directory.  I couldn't find any references in the .prj file to the project path, so I then renamed my original project directory.  The symptom is now different.

Now, the build is using the project.prm file when it tries to build, but for some reason, the .prm file wants to get overwritten by the make itself, and gets corrupted.

Upon building all, I literally get the prompt "The file has been modified outside the source editor.  Do you want to reload it?"  If I say "yes," it then gives me "File "Project.prm" contains null characters.  Do you want to remove all null characters from the file "Project.prm"?"  Whether I choose "Yes" or "cancel" the file is now corrupted beyond all recognition.  The damage has already been done.

If you have any idea who is modifying my file and why, I'm all ears.  Thanks.

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the delay.

By default a Project using Processor Expert (PE) is defined to generate the prm file.

The prm file generation can be check out in the Component Inspector view.

The "Generate PRM file" (in the Build Options tab) option is defined by yes.

PE will generate the prm file associated to the project

If you defined it by no, PE will not generate the prm file.

The name of prm file created is the "project_name".prm

I've created a project named test_PE_prm_file with the wizard for S12XDP512 device.

PE generates the "test_PE_prm_file.prm" file.

Now I select no for "Generate PRM file" option and remove the "test_PE_prm_file.prm".

the  problem is that the prm file is not physically removed if you remove the file inside the project through IDE.

If you remove (physically) the prm file in the \test_PE_prm_file\CODE, after to have re-generated PE code, any prm file will not be generated.

Attached you will find the example I'm using.

To remove the prm file you must:

- select no for "Generate PRM file" option,

- remove the "test_PE_prm_file.prm" file in the \test_PE_prm_file\CODE folder.

Now you can:

- re-build the PE code (any prm file will appear anymore),

- build the project:

Link Error  : No file with extension prm found in project

Link Error  : Link failed

Hope this will help you.

Have a great day,
Pascal

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos