Has anyone had any luck running under VMware? I have been...

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone had any luck running under VMware? I have been...

jamesarm97
Contributor II
Has anyone had any luck running under VMware? I have been able to communicate with varying success. Most of the time it gets through the programming part, but looses communications when I click run. I have also tried to update the firmware to the latest 5.74 but it never makes it all the way through. I can get as far as firmware uploaded then dies during the csum calculation. I thought it maybe timing so I figured I will try to install Boot Camp (on Intel Mac) and run Windows XP directly. Well, it has the same problem. This is Windows running natively on an intel computer and it still does not work. Still seems to be timing or something because it can get through uploading the code sometimes, then when it runs the bdm looses comms. I would really like to be able to develop on my laptop. Does anyone know if there are any logs or support info I could look at or upload?

Intel C2D 2.33Ghz.
Codewarrior v6
9S08AW60 with integrated bdm

- James
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Spell
Contributor I
Hi jamesarm97,

I had success using VirtualBox instead VMware.:smileytongue:
My host OS was Ubuntu 8.04, maybe it works with Mac too :smileywink:

Best Regards,
Filippo
0 Kudos

Voxan
Contributor III
Hi there,

that would be nice to know which CW version and which target you are using...

In a general way, VMware linux distribution cannot target USB-TAP directly due to a USB driver issue. The workaround this, is to use a remove connection, instead of USB-TAP, to you Windows IP address (running underneath or a remote one). Of course you'll need to have CW (windows hosted) installed and setup with USB-TAP connection.

Hope this helps...

Regards
0 Kudos

jamesarm97
Contributor II
I am running CW 6.0 for the MC9S08AQ60 microprocessor. The board has a built in P&E BDM chip and usb connection. I think it is some sort of timing issue because it works a little. When I try and update the BDM firmware it can get as far as erasing / uploading then dies on CSUM generation. Sometimes it dies during upload. After awhile the connection goes away. This is all on an Intel Macbook pro. I have even tried running windows natively using bootcamp and I really thought that would work but does not. It has the exact same problem as running under VMware. I wish there were some logs or debugging info that I could gather. Does anyone know how to enable any of that?

Using the USB-Tap is probably not going to work because I am trying to use this at home for a project and only have the Mac.

Thanks,
James
0 Kudos

Karion
Contributor I
after some problems configuring the CW, i could use it to build the projects without a problem... but in my vmware virtual machine under a MacBook i couldnt get BDM work.
I got plugged and windows could recognize the P&E Micro BDM, but when I try to flash de coldfire CW didnt find the USB device...
If someone got sucess doing that, please share with us!
thx
0 Kudos

jamesarm97
Contributor II
I got it working after configuring the eval board for USB 1.1 or Slow speed on the BDM interface. See if there is an option for that on the board.
0 Kudos