cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CW v10.1.8 Path Remapping

Jim95
Contributor III

Hello,

I work on CW v10.1.8 and on my biggest project everytime I start or stop debbug it CW make a path remapping like in the attachment JPEG file. This path remapping action slows down the PC. Do you know how avoid or reduce this ?

Labels (1)
17 Replies

brianlarsen
Contributor I

bump... I am now using 10.4. same issues.

0 Kudos

brianlarsen
Contributor I

bump

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Brian,

This seems to be a very old issue reported in 2011.

The post doesn't include all information anymore as screen shot.

Personally I've never met the Path Remapping process.

If you can provide us more info we could check it on our side.

Have a great day,
Pascal
Freescale Technical Support
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

scottm
Senior Contributor II

Bumping (another 2 years later!) because this is still a problem in CW 10.7.  I'm attaching a screen shot but there's not much to show - the progress bar just says "Path Remapping".  This machine is a quad core i5-3570K @ 3.4 GHz running from an SSD and it maxes out the CPU for several seconds every time a debug session ends.  It must have been way worse 6 years ago when this was first reported.

Several seconds doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's annoying as heck when you're doing a lot of repeated tests.  I'd love to be able to get rid of this delay, or at least understand what it's doing.

Scott

Screenshot 2017-07-21 14.07.27.png

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

hello,

Thank for contacting us.

I never had this problem. Is this problem in a specific project or a common issue for all projects?

what is your chip part number?

Please send me your demo project and let me know the steps of how to reproduce your problem, I will check it directly on my side. Thanks.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

0 Kudos

scottm
Senior Contributor II

All projects, I'm pretty sure.  I'll have to try it with HCS08 and ColdFire projects to see if it does the same thing.  This particular project is on an MK22FN1M0AVLH12.  I'm using a P&E Cyclone ACP for debugging on this one, and a Cyclone Pro on most others.

Can you try running any of the demo Kinetis projects under CW 10.7 and see what the sequence of actions is after the debug session ends?  My gut feeling is that this might be a normal step that for some reason is taking longer in my case.

This is happening under Windows 8.1, running from a reasonably fast SSD.  The only thing I'd consider somewhat unusual about the environment is that the project (but not the workspace) is on a subst'd drive letter that's replicated via Dropbox - namely, s: is actually located in c:\users\scott\dropbox.  I can test from c: to make sure that's not the problem.  The only time it's typically an issue is if a program tries to run as administrator or another user and it's not mapped.

Scott

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Scott,

I tested debugging with gpio demo code under CW10.7 install. but I couldn't reproduce the problem, see attached video.please let me know how to reproduce your problem?

To avoid old association, please test your project with creating a new workspace in non-system disk, for example disk d. see how it works.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

scottm
Senior Contributor II

I tried loading some FRDM-KL25Z demo apps in a fresh workspace and it doesn't give me the 'path remapping' message, but it actually takes even longer at the end of each session for "Saving remote system explorer profile" and "Saving DOM".  I'm not sure what RSE has to do with it or what DOM it's saving.

I can't justify a lot of time to set up different test environments to see where the path remapping message comes from, but maybe you could tell us in general what drives the sequence of events after the debug session ends?  Is there a TCL script that's kicked off to clean things up, is that part of the debugger, or what?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Scott,

When does "Saving remote system explorer profile" and "Saving DOM" appear? one thing I know is that when closing a project with workspace, CW keeps  a history of changes within your workspace.

Have a look into your workspace, and check the size and number of files of following folder:

.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.resources\.history

You might notice there a lot of files.

So when you starting a new workspace, your project will not be affected by the old history associations.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

0 Kudos

scottm
Senior Contributor II

That happens (like the path remapping) when I click the 'stop' button in the debugger perspective.  This was a brand new workspace with no history.

I'm not clear why anything would need to be done with the history when ending a debug session anyway.  It does take some time to compact the history when I exit CW and that's understandable, but I don't know what paths would need to be remapped or why and why that would take seconds to happen.

Scott

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

although I can't reproduce your problem, I wonder this problem is because of path mapping.

"You need to specify the source lookup path in terms of the compilation path and the local file-system path for the newly imported executable file. The CodeWarrior debugger uses both of these paths to debug the executable file. The compilation path is the path to the original project that built the executable file. If the original project is from an IDE on a different computer, you specify the compilation path in terms of the file system on that computer. The local file-system path is the path to the project that the CodeWarrior IDE creates in order to debug the executable file. Path mappings can be added per launch configuration or global, per workspace. In the latest case the mapping will be valid for all the projects within the workspace."

I suggest you check the content in

...\CW MCU v10.7\MCU\Help\PDF\CodeWarrior Common Features Guide.pdf

search this document with key word "Manual path mappings", you will find a section documenting this topic.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

0 Kudos

scottm
Senior Contributor II

I found a bunch of invalid path mappings and ended up removing *all* of the path mappings, but it's had no effect.  I'm also still not sure why it would need to do anything *after* the debug session has ended.

I was just doing some work on CW 6.3 this morning for an old project and I'd forgotten how much more quickly the debugger could restart.  In 6.3 I can reset the target and immediately click 'run' again and it just goes.  In 10.7 it takes me 20-25 seconds, and that requires waiting for the 'path remapping' task and then switching debug configurations to the 'attach' configuration with no download task.

After I've switched configurations it's fast, and the 'attach' configuration doesn't do the path remapping.  It does say 'refresh buttons' briefly.  It's just tedious to switch, and then I have to remember to switch back when I recompile.

Scott

0 Kudos

brianlarsen
Contributor I

has there been a fix to this issue yet? I am using Eclipse platform 3.7.0, CodeWarrior for Power Architecture Version 10.3 on a linux Debian 7.5 (Pretty much Ubuntu)

Thanks

0 Kudos

stanish
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Jimmy,

Can you please re-attach a screenshot?

Thanks.

Stan

0 Kudos

DavidBLit
Contributor II

You're kidding, right?  He's probably died by now waiting for the stupid path remapping.  If you actually use CW you can't miss it...

bowerymarc
Contributor V

bump!

same thing happening to me with CW10.5

0 Kudos

fabio
Contributor IV

I am experiencing that too. I am using a VM (VMware) running Windows XP and within it I run CW 10.1. The project is located in a host folder, which is shared with the VM.

Everytime I stop a debug session, the message "Path remapping" is shown, it is a task running in the background, but it really slows down the system.

I would really like to get rid of it. I tried disabling low latency filesystem options, but that didn't work.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos