ZigBee Development Kits- 1321XDSK, 13192DSK, MaxStream XBee

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZigBee Development Kits- 1321XDSK, 13192DSK, MaxStream XBee

DrFence
Contributor I
I want to build a simple home automation lower power wireless device that controls an actuator.  This device will hold a schedule and at a given time trigger this actuator.  I'm completely new to embedded systems but have a background in C/C++.  I've looked at these kits:

1. 1321xDSK
  2. 13192DSK 
  3. MaxStream XBee

What's the major difference in the 1321xDSK & 13192DSK?  The 1321xDSK has "reference boards" ... are these boards I have to assemble?  That's certainly beyond my capability.

Also Maxstream has the XBee ... am I better off with the freescale kit + BDM for debugging?

Since I'm so new to embedded systems I'm having a hard time weighing the pros/cons.

Mark

Added part numbers to Subject.

Message Edited by NLFSJ on 2007-05-18 08:41 AM
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

ThaManJD
Contributor III

Do you have a full version of codewarrior or the *free* 32 files limited version?

the BeeKit project maker makes ~217 files(depends on options?) for the HA_OnOffSwitch project.

Can you still get the series 1 XBEE? the series 2 is now using the Ember chip (serial AT or byte command i/f only?)

BTW during some recent zigbee research i found CEL California Eastern Laboratories also have a few smd mountable modules including two Freescale based solutions - one is single chip soc solution and the other is the two chip solution. Available through DigiKey i think?

John Dowdell

Sydney Australia

0 Kudos

mroczeks
Contributor IV

Hoping my question is not too far from main topic...

Does MC1321XDSK version allow for programming?

Or do I have to buy -BDM version?

I couldn't find specific info about that.

I can get BDM easily when in need for step-by-step debugging...

0 Kudos

heny
Contributor I
I have beekit 1.9.8 and code warrior 6.0 and also xctu how do i load my program into the xbee module. pls i really need this info. Better still how do i create a MXI file to be loaded along side hex file into the xctu.
0 Kudos

NLFSJ
Contributor III
 Hi,

The 13192DSK is based on the first generation chipset that has the GT60 and 13192 RFIC (two chip solution).

The 1321xDSK is the 2nd generation where be combined both devices into a single packaged and integrated the TX/RX switch which lowers the component count and cost. Functionally they are identical, but the 1321xDSK is based on the 13213 SiP and will be a less expensive solution.

Both kits have similar functionality, same amount of memory etc. The 1321x has a little nicer packaging in that the dev boards come in a plastic case.

The Maxstream solution is based on their module that uses the first generation two-chip solution. The functionality is the same as the MC1321x solution

Regards,

Nina

0 Kudos

DrFence
Contributor I
If I purchased the 13192DSK would I have issues porting to the 2nd generation 1321xDSK chipset later?

0 Kudos

lex4098
Contributor III
Hi.
1321x DSK kit contains 2 SRB boards, they are mounted so you only have to program them.
See a SRB board here (page 2-2):

http://www.freescale.com/files/rf_if/doc/ref_manual/MC1321xEVKRM.pdf—fpsp=1

Note that these boards don't have a LCD monitor. Have a look also to other MC1321x kits (EVK, NSK).

NOTE: a BDM cable is very useful (trust me....) so take the -BDM version of the kits. Otherwise you will have problems with the programming.

I don't now much about 13192DSK and MaxStream kit.

0 Kudos

Umer
Contributor I

Hi Lex, 

I'm afraid I didnt see you advice before buying the kit without the BDM cable...

I'm stuck with just a USB cable. I've got 2 1321x SRB boards ....is there a way I can still program them ?

Thanks 

0 Kudos

Ikoria
Contributor I
Hi all.

I have already do some search about Zigbee device.

Maxstreem is a builder who use Freescale component, like MC1319...

MaxStreem devices are "Xbee" and "XbeePro"
And
Develco devices are "Devcom01" and "Devcom02"...

(I know i don't do some pub but you can also search for this device : sn250...) I prefert use Freescale component because the other manufacturer will not have devices for Europe before July.....

Note: Scuse me for my english...I'm french :smileywink:

Iko.

0 Kudos

DrFence
Contributor I
I read a white paper on BDM and that seems like a no brainer :smileyhappy:  The ability to step through code on the board seems invaluable.

Here's what support told me:

"The 13192DSK is based on the first generation chipset that has the GT60
and 13192 RFIC (two chip solution).

The 1321xDSK is the 2nd generation where be combined both devices into a
single packaged and integrated the TX/RX switch which lowers the
component count and cost.  Functionally they are identical, but the
1321xDSK is based on the 13213 SiP and will be a less expensive
solution.

Both kits have similar functionality, same amount of memory etc.  The
1321x has a little nicer packaging in that the dev boards come in a
plastic case.

The Maxstream solution is based on their module that uses the first
generation two-chip solution.  Functionally, it is the same as the
MC1321x solution."

Now to decide whether or not to go with a smaller outfit.  I don't know how the way MaxStream has put the components together could affect operatoin.

Mark
0 Kudos