cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB MULTILINK UNIVERSAL - can't connect to S08PA16

Jump to solution
JimDandy
Contributor III

Trying to get the brand new programmer going!!!

Got an S08PA16 with crystal on a small piece of breadboard. GND, RST and BKGD connections made. With the debug cable disconnected the reset pin continually  pulses low for 4uS every 7mS. (the mcu is blank) The BKGD pin stays high. Also the xtal doesn't oscillate. Connect the debug cable and no different. The BKGD never goes low and the programmer can't make a connection. Tried holding the BKGD low with a jumper lead, forcing a 4MHz clock into both xtal pins, one at a time. The yellow power LED on the programmer doesn't come on but I don't think it is meant to because this one can't supply power to the target. The programmer is recognised in the drop down selection list on the pc just fine. It just wont connect. Buzzed out the 6-way cable. Cable is definitely orientated on the header pins correctly.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JimDandy
Contributor III

Okay, got it sussed now. Seeing this programmer can't supply power to the target board but you need an external supply, I didn't think the programmer Vdd wire needed to be connected. Apparently with this programmer it is used as a sense line to tell it what voltage the mcu is running off. The yellow LED now comes on too.

There will be more questions later, I'm sure.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JimDandy
Contributor III

Okay, got it sussed now. Seeing this programmer can't supply power to the target board but you need an external supply, I didn't think the programmer Vdd wire needed to be connected. Apparently with this programmer it is used as a sense line to tell it what voltage the mcu is running off. The yellow LED now comes on too.

There will be more questions later, I'm sure.

0 Kudos