Need Help Reading an MCU HC11

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help Reading an MCU HC11

TechnoPro
Contributor I

Hi everyone, I am trying to connect to this Motorola MCU on my engine module. I only opened this module so I could see what processor it was. The one I want to read and flash is not going to be opened up like this. I only have the option of connecting to the 12-pin spot where the vehicle harness plugs into (Power, CanHi, Canlo, Ground)

The diagnostic software for the manufacturer of the machine reads it just fine, but doesn't allow editing the file at all. This is how it is setup now. What software can I use? Keep in mind what I want to edit will be in a closed module, so a PICkit will not work. Here is a layout of my setup.https://imgbb.com/k63WdKS 

0 Kudos
6 Replies

kef2
Senior Contributor V

CAN on HC11? Are you sure it is CAN and not something like K-Line? For CAN, I think, HC11 had to use some external Bosch or Intel CAN controller? 

Are you sure regarding unknown 68HC71139? Isn't it 68HC711E9? E9 is documented here

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/M68HC11E.pdf

• You need a BDM to connect to the MCU

BDM appeared on HC12. No BDM on HC11.

0 Kudos

TechnoPro
Contributor I

You know, I didn't think of kline, but you might be onto something. I assumed due to the interface for reading diagnostic codes being usb2can and inside is the intel controller, I thought it was strictly canbus.

E9 is correct, I typed it wrong. It is an old ECU from a snowmobile. It is completely sealed up, for my project I actually cut it open with a dremel to see what MCU was inside. Now that I figured it out, I want to know how to access it. I want to modify fuel mapping and rev limiter. (Sled is 20yrs old, so its not like the new super easy plug in and tune.)

I have 12 pins on the module. 2 are communication lines, ground, and 12v. I read it fine with manufacturer diag software on those 4 wires. I have to assume the engine parameters are written to ROM or EEPROM?

0 Kudos

kef2
Senior Contributor V

So if E9, then read about bootstrap mode in RM. For bootstrap you need to alter some pin(s) while powering up / resetting. Then use serial port to load your DIY memory dumper, which will in turn dump to PC all memory contents over the same serial port...

0 Kudos

Itzzamna_Supp
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport
You need a BDM to connect to the MCU. However, it is not possible to read and edit what has been written by the manufacturer.
0 Kudos

TechnoPro
Contributor I

Others have done it, I just dont know the software name.

0 Kudos

Itzzamna_Supp
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Sure thing others already "hacked" this MCU using 3rd party SWs. However, we are not allowed nor authorized to provide this kind of support since it is not recommended to read/edit the programming that has been written by the manufacturer since this information might be confidential (I do recommend contacting the manufacturer for more information regarding this).

In other words, NXP does not own any SW with this capabilities.

0 Kudos