Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC9S08AW32CFUE max freq. extern Xtal

Jump to solution
robkeij
Contributor I

Problem choosing 10MHz X-tal

I have a project with a 10Mhz extern X-tal
On the freescale site I read   “32 KHz to 16 MHz reference external crystal/resonator”  ????

but in CodeWarrior The max freq. for this controller is 8Mhz

8988_8988.pngMC9S08AW32CFUE_XTAL.png

Do I miss something?

Rob Keij

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
GordonD
Contributor IV

Rob,

I don't really use PE, however, if you look in the AW32/60 data sheet in Table A-12, ICG Frequency Specifications, you will see that to use an external crystal greater than 8 MHz, the HGO bit in the ICGC1 register must be set (see below). So, I don't know if there's something in PE to select the "High-gain Oscillator" option. You'd think PE would do this automatically if a crystal frequency greater than 8 MHz was specified.

Regards,

Gordon

Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 9.36.18 AM.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
GordonD
Contributor IV

Rob,

I don't really use PE, however, if you look in the AW32/60 data sheet in Table A-12, ICG Frequency Specifications, you will see that to use an external crystal greater than 8 MHz, the HGO bit in the ICGC1 register must be set (see below). So, I don't know if there's something in PE to select the "High-gain Oscillator" option. You'd think PE would do this automatically if a crystal frequency greater than 8 MHz was specified.

Regards,

Gordon

Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 9.36.18 AM.png

0 Kudos
robkeij
Contributor I

Gordon,

I'ts the first time I use PE and its look great,  have more experience with other controllers and IDE's. but no problem.

I can't find in the PE where/how  I can set de HGO bit, When I imported the project from PE 6.3 the frequency was set on 4Mhz.

but searching in de files I found:

this was generated in the old version CW 6.3 ;

/* ICGC1: HGO=1,RANGE=1,REFS=1,CLKS1=1,CLKS0=1,OSCSTEN=0,LOCD=0,??=0 */

ICGC1 = 0xF8;                      /* Initialization of the ICG control register 1 */

This generated in the CW10.5 version;

/* ICGC1: HGO=0,RANGE=1,REFS=1,CLKS1=0,CLKS0=0,OSCSTEN=0,LOCD=0,??=0 */

ICGC1 = 0x60;                      /* Initialization of the ICG control register 1 */

So you are right and yes I think the ICG1 setting are right generated if I make the right settings.

I have fount what I have to set in the PE  if I set Operating mode to High gain the clock range is changing to <1MHz,16Mhz>

So this is not changing automatically.......

Thanks Gordon for the information that lead me to the solution..

Rob

0 Kudos
pavel_sadek
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Rob,

it works on my side, I have CW10.5,

do the update of your SW tool first,

what is your CW version?

Pavel

aw_clk.PNG

0 Kudos
robkeij
Contributor I

Hi Pavel,

I have a project converted from 6.3 to 10.5. 

You selected external oscillator but I have selected external crystal.

Rob

0 Kudos