HC08 Open Source Toolchain?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HC08 Open Source Toolchain?

RChapman
Contributor I
This message contains an entire topic ported from a separate forum. The original message and all replies are in this single message. We have seeded this new forum with selected information that we expect will be of value to you as you search for answers to your questions.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:35 am  

Hi

I come from the Atmel AVR camp (please don't throw rocks at me!), but have decided that I want to see the world Wink I'm currently playing with the Dallas 8051-based uCs and am just starting to look at HC08. I work in ANSI C, when in embedded mode. I have been very impressed with avr-gcc and avr-glibc; a bit more so that with Atmel themselves...

Does anyone know of an Open Source toolchain for this processor core? I believe that SDCC is supposed to support HC08 some time in the future, but can't get a definitive answer from the development list as to the current status of this support.

I've had a play with the evaluation CodeWarrior, but 1) I don't want to have to boot a machine into Windows everytime I want to use it, especially since only my old laptop has a Windows partition and 2) I find it a bit over-done for my taste; twenty years behind the command line, man and boy - graphical development environments just don't feel quite right. 3) I try to avoid closed-source software when possible.

Cheers
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:02 am    

Welcome, for the HC08 or the newer HCS08, there aren't any open source compilers I am aware of, you are stuck with either CW (16K free)or the Cosmic compiler which has a free 4k version.

However GCC does exist for the S12 (http://m68hc11.serveftp.org/), so if it open source is a must then you could try a device like the S12Cxx (32K to 128K falsh family) to get started with.

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:18 pm    

Quote:
Welcome, for the HC08 or the newer HCS08, there aren't any open source compilers I am aware of, you are stuck with either CW (16K free)or the Cosmic compiler which has a free 4k version.

Anyone got this working under Wine?

If I can't get a programme to fit into 16k, I'll be letting down my fellow generation of Sinclair users Wink (And that was using BASIC!)

Quote:
However GCC does exist for the S12

Ah, that's more like it! gcc gets my vote any day.

Cheers

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:11 am    

There is indeed an Open Source port of SDCC for the HC08 MCU!

You can find it here:

http://sdcc-m08.sourceforge.net/

I have not tried it yet, but will post my results here when i have.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies