cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 34: when loading program onto the QG8

Jump to solution
karthick1987
Contributor II

I am not able to download flash onto the QG8 MCU, when I try to load the program onto the memory , it says "error 34" and dosent download and dosent complete the write onto the MCU. Can somebody help me out with this one or has anyone ever experienced the same problem? Thank you.

Cheers

karthick

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
EdT
Contributor II

karthick1987,

Pin 6 of the BDM connector (VDD) is an INPUT to the USB-ML-12 to tell what logic voltage your processor is operating at. Even if you make your own power supply, make sure you connect the processor's VDD to this pin 6.

Best regards,

Edison

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
EdT
Contributor II

karthick,

As peg mentioned, RESET and BKGD should both be pulled up to VDD via a 4.7K to 10K resistor. 

Also, pin 6 of the P&E USB BDM Multilink needs to be connected to VDD (3.3V in this case). The yellow LED on the Multilink should be illuminated when the processor is powered on.

Best regards,

Edison

0 Kudos
karthick1987
Contributor II

Hey EdT,

I tried that first but the programmer didnt supply power to the micro hence I had to make my own power supply for the MCU. And I tried what Peg asked me to do and it still gives me the same error. And for some reason it dosent go into the Background Debug mode! I dont know why? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Cheers

karthik 

0 Kudos
EdT
Contributor II

karthick1987,

Pin 6 of the BDM connector (VDD) is an INPUT to the USB-ML-12 to tell what logic voltage your processor is operating at. Even if you make your own power supply, make sure you connect the processor's VDD to this pin 6.

Best regards,

Edison

0 Kudos
karthick1987
Contributor II

Hey Thanks for that EdT, managed to get it working and that was the mistake i made. Anyway i really appreciate it.

Cheers

karthik 

0 Kudos
zenta
Contributor II

Hello,

we have sometimes this Error 34 when loading program, too. We work with a MC9S08LL16 and USB Multilink from PE micro. Perhaps it is important to know, that the device is absolutly blank, never was programmed before.

I would be very happy about any advice.

Regards

zenta

0 Kudos
karthick1987
Contributor II

Hi Zenta,

The device i am writing to is blank and this is the first time I am using it. and i am a begginner therefore any advice would be much appreciated. I have also attached a screenshot of the error that i got when loading the QG8 with the code. Also Like Celso said I also tried using bigger bulk capacictors namely 2200uF and 100uF in parallel as opposed to a 100uF cap alone (Note: in the datasheet it advices to use a 10uF cap). But still got the same error. Have a look at this and would be helpful if you guys can tell me the steps involved so that i can cross check whether what i am doing is right or wrong.

Cheers

Karthik 

0 Kudos
zenta
Contributor II

Hello karthick,

I am very sorry, but i don't know. My problem was different - i think, it had something to do with Flash. In your case, you even don't get any connection.

I don't know, check the pins at each side (BGND: PTA4 to 1, RESET: PTA5 to 4, GND: Pin 4/3 to 2,

VDD: Pin 3/2 to 6), check the level of each pin, compare it...I don't know...

I hope you will get your poblem solved..

Cheers

zenta
0 Kudos
peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hello Karthick,

I have recently had quite a number of virgin GT16A's that fail to programme the first time.

I end up with error 34 just like your screenshot.

It has always been the case that each troublesome device I just need to get going and don't have time to fully investigate the issue.

First I should point out that I am NOT using Codewarrior or Hiwave. But I am using the P&E components on their own.

I have developed a foolproof way to get around the problem.

Firstly I just try a few times and sometimes it eventually it works.

Failing that I use what Codewarrior calls Expert programmer Mode.

This allows the command to be issued 1 at a time instead of following a script.

When the background entry fails you are given the option of doing a power cycle with BKGD held low in order to enter background mode.

This entry works.

Now you can programme the device.

Some of these troublesome devices I have used to debug new features/versions etc and all have had no problems using the scripted cproghcs08 method on all subsequent times.

I don't know whether this will work for you with your QG8 but it is certainly worth a try.

Presumably you have also read my thread in the stickies at the top of this forum on the QG.

Good Luck!

0 Kudos
karthick1987
Contributor II

I have some more information if you want Peg, And I will try what you said , but just a bit more info on what i am doing is given below.

I have attached the schematic of my interfacing circuit for the HCS08QG8 to the PE-micro USB BDM MULTILINK.

I couln't get the yellow LED to light up using the USB-BDM and Code Warrior v6.2, so i had to make my own clean 3.3V power supply.

When i try to go into Debug mode and connect to the HCS08QG8 using the Code Warrior 6.2 by pressing the Reset(Connect) and the Hotsync buttons, 30% of the attempts it seems like it connects but it never goes into Backround Debug mode and it gives me an error message for that.

When i try to load a program into flash it also doesn't go into Backround Debug mode and gives me error 34 (see attachment). I haven't ever been able to successfully load something in flash so the chip must be completely empty in the flash.

This has been going on for like 2 months and its driving me crazyy : (

Does anyone have a solution to this ??

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can provide me some feedback.

Cheers

karthick

DSC01478.jpg

Message Edited by t.dowe on 2009-09-22 10:24 AM
0 Kudos
peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hi karthick,

Your drawing is wrong!

Reset should be pulled UP, with a cap to GND.

In order to assist background mode entry, remove any cap on reset and use 4k7 pullups on both the reset and BKGD.

0 Kudos
karthick1987
Contributor II

Hey Peg,

Sorry about the late reply. I just finished my exams. There was a mistake in my schematic and it was pulled up and I did change the resistors to 4k7 ones and it still gave me the same error. and its not entering into the background debug mode for some weird reason. Please advise.

Thanks

cheers

karthik 

0 Kudos
celsoken
Contributor V

Hi,

I've got this error before, in my case what happened is that the power supply was not dimensioned to withstand the current peaks caused by turn-on of flash charge pumps. I had to redesign the power supply, increasing capacitors and mean current.

I hope it helps.

Cheers,

Celso 

0 Kudos
karthick1987
Contributor II

Hi celsoken,

Thanks for that, I see what you mean. So do you mean that I should change the power supply capacitance or the reset capactiance? or both? because if I change the reset capacitance it is going to change the time constant for the reset. So some advice on that would be good.

Cheers

karthick

0 Kudos
celsoken
Contributor V

Huh, I forgot to tell you that regarding POR it is necessary to add some delay before engaging BDM, so the power supply can stabilize. In hiwave it is a menu option.

Cheers,

Celso

0 Kudos
celsoken
Contributor V

Dear Karthick,

Excuse me for my late answer, I did not notice you had written me.

I don't know if the problem is the same. I had a serious limitation in current in my design (saving pennies) and maybe it is not your case. I was speaking about the power supply capacitance. Put a scope on and if the voltage dives when flash starts programming, that is the problem I was speaking. If voltage is stable it is not the case.

Reset capacitance could be a problem source in normal BDM use. Not at first time programming because an unprogrammed QG8 will ignore the reset pin and only POR will be recognized. I'd simply take out any capacitor on reset pin.

Try to provide more information on your system so we can help you more effectively.

Cheers,

Celso

0 Kudos