Compatability of mc9s08ac48cpue and mc9s08ac60cpue?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatability of mc9s08ac48cpue and mc9s08ac60cpue?

mfugere
Contributor III

We are having issues (long lead times, allocation) with many distributors trying to buy the MC9S08AC60CPUE which I have designed into one of our latest products (uses (2) of these parts per product) amd released to production.  We have run through the first 1-2K parts in the first production run this month.   We have several thousands of these on backorder with different distributors, now.  

I have not used all of the Flash space in either of these parts and I think that the Flash space in MC9S08AC48CPUE will be sufficient.  However, we have just qualified the product and the code and I do *not* want to pursue the idea of making the AC48 an approved alternate unless the exact firmware images can be used in either chip (48 or 60).   This would require that all peripherals and memory maps, and ISR vectors (everytihng except for the upper amount of flash memory above 48K)   *MUST* be the same.   From the combined datasheet (AC32, AC48, AC60) it isn't completely clear that this is the case or not.

If you can assure me that the AC48CPUE package will be a drop in replacement and program (with any target ID change on the programmer) with the same firmware that was developed on the AC60CPUE but only uses the lower 36K of user flash, I will buy some of these chips to sample and try.

It seems with the NXP acquisition of Freescale, that production lead times and product availability are still not going in the proper direction yet?

Thank you for any assistance.

Mike Fugere

Jewell Instruments LLC

0 Kudos
1 Reply

KrisRutecki
Contributor III

Hello Mike, I think that building anything with a 6800 based micro is a mistake nowadays. Whoever really bought the Freescale company seems to have a real interest in liquidating the remnants of the Motorola 6800 series.

As for your question I would think that you will need to recompile your program for the smaller 48k version. You see, normally when you start a new book you start at the beginning, which is at a different location for both of those mentioned chips. The program, as you have it, will most likely NOT RUN - it starts in a location which does not exist on a 48k . However, if you can make it run on the 48k version, the same code will most likely run on the 60k version (as I have found on the DV32, and DV60 9S08 derivatives to be the case).

0 Kudos