cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM and FLASH Limits for Microcontroller Selection

qazimuhammadtal
Contributor I

Hi All,

I am new in Embedded C Developement and I am in need of help to decide how big my RAM and FLASH should be when

the projects inputs = 3 Digital signals from push buttons and Toggle switch and 2 analog inputs from power supply and trigger signal from activation switch

and out put is to drive a fire extinguisher and also Blink LEDS? Total estimated Source Lines of Code (SLOC)s are 5700 and the IDE I am Planning to use is Code Warrior 10.6. Micro controller will be chosen from Kinetis Family of Microcontrollers.

I have this estimate of Source Lines of Code(SLOC)s by looking at different projects.

Regards,

Qazi

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

It's hard to say how many FLASH/RAM size you need for 5700 lines of code, because code and code are also different.

Under CW10.6 install there are many Kinetis demo code, you can refer a similar demo code to estimate your code size

D:\Freescale\CW MCU v10.6\MCU\CodeWarrior_Examples\Kinetis_Examples

But I would suggest you:

1. choose the right kinetis direvative you will use, for example KL25.

2. test your 5700 lines of code with a chip, for example KL25Z128

3. KL25Z128 has 128k flash and 16k ram. check generated code size if there is any memory left unused.

4. then re-select the right chip part number based on project code size

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos