Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MQX 5.0 licensing

Jump to solution
aryavijayan
Contributor II

Hello,

We have been using K60 (MK60FN1M0VLQ12) in one of our products and we would like to replace it with K66 (MK66FN2M0VLQ18). The OS we are using is MQX 4.0 and IDE is Code warrior 10.4. From NXP site it is found that MQX 5.0 gives support for Kinetics K66-180 device, but MQX 5.0 is licensed. We would like to know the licensing terms and cost of MQX5.0. Our product is using in commercial market and falls in a financial domain. Can we use single license for all units or will there be costing for each unit sold?

1 Solution
Doug_EmbeddedAc
Senior Contributor I

Hello Arya,

To clarify, there are no royalties at all with the MQXv5 license, so you can make an unlimited number of units of the product that is covered by the license. I believe you have found the web page with the pricing, but to confirm it is listed on www.nxp.com/mqxv5 and then click on the 'Buy/Parametrics' tab at the top. As you noted, the license fee for a single product is $6K which includes the first year of maintenance updates. The maintenance period can optionally be extended after that first year for $3,500 / year. A single product is defined as a finished product with a specific model number (for example an industrial controller model #100). If you are making multiple products that use the same CPU and they are similar (for example industrial controllers model #100, #200, #300 etc) then the Product Family License is required. This also includes the first year of maintenance updates, however it does not include products from different families (such as industrial controllers, printers, and routers).

Should you be interested in some support services this is also available. Support is sold in blocks of time and the support time can be used for answering of technical questions, code/architecture reviews, remote debug session to help you debug your application, customizations, small bits of development, and related consultation. These are outlined on www.nxp.com/prosupport .

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Doug

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Doug_EmbeddedAc
Senior Contributor I

Hello Arya,

To clarify, there are no royalties at all with the MQXv5 license, so you can make an unlimited number of units of the product that is covered by the license. I believe you have found the web page with the pricing, but to confirm it is listed on www.nxp.com/mqxv5 and then click on the 'Buy/Parametrics' tab at the top. As you noted, the license fee for a single product is $6K which includes the first year of maintenance updates. The maintenance period can optionally be extended after that first year for $3,500 / year. A single product is defined as a finished product with a specific model number (for example an industrial controller model #100). If you are making multiple products that use the same CPU and they are similar (for example industrial controllers model #100, #200, #300 etc) then the Product Family License is required. This also includes the first year of maintenance updates, however it does not include products from different families (such as industrial controllers, printers, and routers).

Should you be interested in some support services this is also available. Support is sold in blocks of time and the support time can be used for answering of technical questions, code/architecture reviews, remote debug session to help you debug your application, customizations, small bits of development, and related consultation. These are outlined on www.nxp.com/prosupport .

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Doug

aryavijayan
Contributor II

Hi Doug, Hi Daniel,

Great thanks for your swift response.

A few more queries

• We would like to know more about KDS and KSDK licensing terms. Is Kinetics Designer Studio free to purchase?

It is stated in NXP site that KDS provides support for Processor Expert software with support for Kinetis SDK v1.x.          Please confirm if it provides support for new version SDK v3.

• In our product, the Peripherals with K60 are CAN, USB host(Mass storage, printer, Hub, HID), ADC, Ethernet, WIFI, SPI, I2C and UART. Will Kinetics SDK provides support for all these peripherals ?
  • As I mentioned in my first post, the OS we are using is MQX(using RTCS, MFS etc) .We would like to know the support that FeeRTOS provides for RTCS, MFS libraries or what are the replacements for these libraries in FreeRTOS?
  • Is there any file system support for NOR flash in FreeRTOS? Is it possible to execute code from external SPI NOR flash?
  • What will be RTOS kernel footprint?

Regards,
Arya

0 Kudos
danielchen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi arya

• We would like to know more about KDS and KSDK licensing terms. Is Kinetics Designer Studio free to purchase?

It is stated in NXP site that KDS provides support for Processor Expert software with support for Kinetis SDK v1.x.          Please confirm if it provides support for new version SDK v3.

[Daniel]: Kinetis Designer Studio is free. KSDK 1.3 was compiled and tested with  KDSv3

• In our product, the Peripherals with K60 are CAN, USB host(Mass storage, printer, Hub, HID), ADC, Ethernet, WIFI, SPI, I2C and UART. Will Kinetics SDK provides support for all these peripherals ?

[Daniel]: KSDK1.x support these Peripherals. But classic MQX drivers can't directly used in KSDK, please check below link for more details

Installing NIO driver in MQX for KSDK 

• As I mentioned in my first post, the OS we are using is MQX(using RTCS, MFS etc) .We would like to know the support that FeeRTOS provides for RTCS, MFS libraries or what are the replacements for these libraries in FreeRTOS?

[Daniel]:  For FreeRTOS, you can use LWIP and Fatfs

• What will be RTOS kernel footprint?

[Daniel]: FreeRTOS provides a very small footprint, low overhead and very fast execution. The kernel itself consist of only three or four C files. 4-8k bytes of flash minimum.

Please be note that, from KSDK2.0, NXP KSDK only provides support to FreeRTOS, MQX was removed from KSDK. and MQX v5 is the continuation of classic MQX.

Have a great day,
Daniel

aryavijayan
Contributor II

Thank you Daniel for the answers.

0 Kudos
danielchen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi  arya vijayan

NXP offers single product license and product/multi-product family license. Please check below link for more details

MQX™ v5 Software Solutions|NXP 

MQX™ v5 Software Solutions|NXP 

note: if this post is helpful, please mark correct answer or helpful, thanks

Regards

Daniel

0 Kudos
aryavijayan
Contributor II

Hello Daniel,

By single product license, does it mean that we can purchase MQX for $6000 and build it for N number of units?

Annual maintenance cost of $3500 to be paid for each year right?

Regards,
Arya@@@

0 Kudos
danielchen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Arya

Yes,  for  N number of units for a specific customer product.

For specific question, please issue a ticket  here,   Support|NXP ,  /  development projects

pastedImage_1.png

Regards

Daniel