Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUXPRESSO No compatible probes available, mbed OM13071 lpc824

klausrschambeck
Contributor III

first a friendly Hello to the support engineers :

mcuxpresso 10.0.2 (411) fresh install on win 10 pro 1703 on dell e6430 laptop

my own lpc824 project compiles, but doesn't load : "no compatible probes available"

the lpc824-max mbed device shows up as "mbed cmsis-dap" in control panel devices and printers

why does mcuxpresso not see the probe for / in it

i also attached a few pics to show some of the below mentioned results ... any reference to win10_pro_1703 refers to the computer where i experience this problem and win10_home_1607 refers to the working win computer

the win 10 pro 1703 has a brand new windows install to get started with and no previous left overs from upgrades ... also the 1607 and 1703 refers to the win 10 rev levels ... i was not able to upgrade the working win 10 home from 1607 to 1703 ... some windows upgrade issues ... win10_home_1607 is an hp 17e189 ... both have 16 gb ram

for comparison :

my lpc54114 project compiles and loads (runs) on the same win 10 pro 1703 laptop without any problems

my lpc824 project compiles and loads (runs) on all linux (kubuntu 1604) boxes

my lpc824 project compiles and loads (runs) on other win 10 home 1607, which was upgraded from win 8.1 and had previous lpcxpresso versions installed

i also tried it with lpcxpresso 822.2.650 and a brand new empty lpcopen C++ project ... it compiles but doesn't load

maybe this is an issue for you Brandon or Steve, cheers Klaus

0 Kudos
5 Replies

brendonslade
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Klaus,

You may be interested to know that we recently released a new set of debug firmware and Windows 7 drivers for our boards that feature the LPC11U3x MCU as a debug probe (so all the "MAX" boards). The new firmware can be found under the Software & Tools tab of the board page (so for you the URL to the board is http://www.nxp.com/demoboard/om13071).

The intention is for this firmware to be used instead of the mbed-based firmware and driver that has been used up until now, if you are not going to use Mbed (you can continue to use the Mbed version if you so wish however). Some reasons to consider the new firmware & driver:

• The CMSIS-DAP implementation is newer, so a little more robust and faster
  • The VCOM / serial port driver supports autobaud, with speeds up to 115200
  • The VCOM driver has a cleaner installation (mbed serial port driver needs board to be plugged in to install, which is a little unusual)
  • The firmware auto-detects if a target serial port connection is present and enumerates a driver if they are.
  • The new firmware gives a unique ID per board, allowing multiple board connections at once.

I'm going to post a blog note about this now.

Best regards,

Brendon

0 Kudos

klausrschambeck
Contributor III

one more thought would be ... how is it possible that the lpc54114 works on this computer and the mbed 824 device NOT ???

also could there be a clue in how the mbed device shows up in control panel devices and printers ... as example

working : MBED microcontroller USB Device

failure : MBED CMSIS-DAP

why is the display appearance different ... is it the different windows version "pro 1703" vs "home_1607" or is the mbed driver for it different

i would also like to mention my usb connection ... i tried it with several usb cables on at least 2 usb ports if not all 3 (don't remember)

what i know for sure is that all the tests, where the screen-shot pics have been taken, were done with a sabrent 4 port usb 3 hub and also with a sabrent 4 port usb2 hub, where the board was connected to ... the hub was plugged into i believe, was a usb 2 port

maybe this info helps to narrow it down or for reproduction purpose

thanks and cheers Klaus

0 Kudos

Carlos_Mendoza
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Klaus,

Could you try softloading the debug probe firmware into the board, If the DFULink is fitted on the board, then the IDE should softload the firmware. I would also suggest that you try booting the probe (i.e. soft loading the firmware) manually. Information on how to do this is described in the MCUXpresso IDE User Guide - section 14.12.4, " Manually booting LPC-Link2".  You could also review the troubleshooting section in 14.12.7, and see if the suggestions work.

Hope it helps!

Best Regards,
Carlos Mendoza
Technical Support Engineer

0 Kudos

klausrschambeck
Contributor III

first of all, thanks Carlos and sorry that it took a while to respond

i didn't really understand too much with regards to " Manually booting LPC-Link2" and tried something else which seemed easier to me and for now it worked

the link below showed a similar problem and i took a closer look and followed one advise in it

LPCXpresso 824 Max error "no compatible emulators" 

it suggested :

And have you installed the mbed serial port driver, or are you relying on the Windows 10 built in driver? Windows serial configuration - Handbook | mbed

and i followed it to the mbed "windows serial link configuration" (link above) and installed as instructed

and this made it work ... beautiful :smileywink:

now the lpc824max shows up in control panel -> devices and printers as "MBED microcontroller" like on the win10_home_1607 where it worked, and no longer as simple "MBED CMSIS-DAP" device

this all would make a bit sense, since this win 10 schlepptop had a virgin win_10_pro_1703 and everything else newly  installed, as compared to the other win10_home_1607 where i used it for the past 3 years-plus for a lot of lpc... development work ... and i must have back then installed this mbed driver ... maybe even during the glorious win 8.1 days or it came with an earlier lpcxpresso version

let's hope this was it

thanks again Carlos

0 Kudos

Carlos_Mendoza
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for your response, it is good to hear the problem was solved installing the mbed serial port drivers.

Best Regards,
Carlos Mendoza
Technical Support Engineer

0 Kudos