cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCF8023 best debugger and emulator

sandrom
Contributor III

Hello all,

I have to start a project with the micro controller in subject (I know it's old but it is mandatory in our project to use it).

It's first time I use it (I'm used to use Kinetis and SH08 ones).

My question is about the debugger/emulator: which is the best: PE Universal FX or USB TAP?

USB TAP is also an emulator, while PE is only debugger, did I understand well? If it's so, USB TAP should be better?

Thanks in advance,

best regards,

Sandro

Labels (1)
4 Replies

sandrom
Contributor III

Hi Xiangjun,

thanks for the explanation!

Thanks again,

best regards,

Sandro

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Sandro,

First of all, pls confirm the part number you are using, do you use MC56F8023?  If it is the case, I am sure that this is one of DSC family.

If you use MC56F8023, you can use both tools: "the CodeWarrior for DSP56800E tools" and "the CodeWarrior for mcu tools" to download/debug. Of course, both of the tools support USBTAP device.

Regarding the "PE Universal FX" device, I suppose that the CodeWarrior for DSP56800E tools does not support the "PE Universal FX" device, it only supports USBTAP device.The "the CodeWarrior for mcu tools" support both USBTAP device and the "PE Universal FX" device.

This is USBTAP device link:

USB TAP for ONCE DSC|NXP 

Hope it can help you

BR

Xiangjun Rong

sandrom
Contributor III

Hello Xiangjun,

thanks for the answer, I confirm that I'm using the MC56F8023. So I can you both CW 8.3 IDE (classic IDE) and the CW 10.7 new one? This is good thank you for the information.

The thing that I cant understand yet is the differences between USB TAP and PE Universal, I mean at features level: does USB TAP do more stuff than PE Universal? I don't understand the difference between emulator and debugger... :smileyhappy:

Thanks again in advance!

Sandro

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Sandro,

I do not thin there is huge difference between USBTAP and PE Universal FX, both can be used to download code and debug, but the USBTAP device only supports DSC, the PE Universal FX can supports DSC, Kinetis,...

Hope it can help you

BR

Xiangjun Rong