LPC54xx JTAG interface over LPC-Link2 via LPCxpresso

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC54xx JTAG interface over LPC-Link2 via LPCxpresso

markkloza
Contributor I

We have designed a board based on LPC5413J256 that uses JTAG connection for debugging and program flashing. LPC5413 SWD pins are not used and are not connected to the JTAG connector. We are using LPC-Link2 to connect to the board.

LPCxpresso has an option in "Debug options template" to select "NXP 541x (default)" which does not offer option for JTAG debugging only SWD. Since LPC5413 defaults after boot to SWD we are unable to communicate with the processor since only JTAG connection is accessible on our board.

Is there a way to switch LPC5413 programming interface from default SWD to JTAG ?

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
9 Replies

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It looks to me like you are trying to manually create your launch configuration? If so, you don't need to - please delete.

To debug, all you should need to do is select the project in Project Explorer, then click on the Debug button in the Quickstart Panel. The IDE will then autogenerate an appropriate launch config for your part.

For more details, please read the supplied LPCXpresso IDE User Guide, or watch the videos at http://www.nxp.com/lpcxpresso.

Regards,

LPCXpresso Support

0 Kudos

markkloza
Contributor I

I am not trying to generate custom launch configuration.

For LPC54113J256 there is no option to use JTAG only SWD connection in the "Debugger" option. We have only JTAG connection wired on the board. No SWD hardware connection. We can not "talk" the uC because LPC54113J256 defaults to SWD connection.

We need to use JTAG and there is no such option for LPC54113J256 in LPCxpresso launch configuration "Debugger" tab.

0 Kudos

converse
Senior Contributor V

As I said in my original reply, (according to the datasheet) there is no JTAG debugging on this part. You can only use SWD for debugging. You need to fix your circuit to bring SWD pins out...

0 Kudos

markkloza
Contributor I

We rewired the board to communicate thru the SWD port(SDWCLK and SWDIO) plus RESET connected to the external debugger port(P1) on the NXP LPCXpresso5402 board.

All the power pins of the processor(including VDDA) are verified to be powered from 3.3V. We still are unable to communicate with LPC54113J256. Signals on the SWD bus(IO - blue, CLK - red) plus RESET(green):

SWD_bus.png

Our debug configuration:

debug_config.png

Are there any other connections needed for SWD communication outside of the ones shown in the datasheet ?:

debug_conn.png

0 Kudos

markkloza
Contributor I

Are there any requirement on ISP pins for the uC to communicate over SWD bus ? Right now our ISP0(P0_31) pin is pulled high(boot from flash).

0 Kudos

markkloza
Contributor I

Problem resolved:

1. Able to communicate over SWD(but not JTAG).

2. The problem was that code was reconfiguring SWD pins used for debugger communication. To solve the SWD communication problem, ISP0 pin was held low during reset to enter into ISP boot mode and then SWD was used to reprogram the part with code that allows SWD pins to be used in SWD mode.

0 Kudos

converse
Senior Contributor V
0 Kudos

markkloza
Contributor I

We followed that document to design the board. We only missed that LPC54113J254 has JTAG for boundary scan only and needs to use SWD instead.

1. Do signals on the SWD bus look correct(in above reply) ?

2. Are there any other pins(like ISP pins) on the LPC54113J256 that need to powered/connected for SWD bus to work ? We connected the circuit to match datasheet circuit.

3. Is the external crystal oscillator enable by default on power up ?

0 Kudos

converse
Senior Contributor V

According to the datasheet for LPC541xx there is no JTAG debugging support - it is SWD only. The JTAG is for boundary scan only.

0 Kudos