How to get started with BLE FRDMKW41Z

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get started with BLE FRDMKW41Z

coryperkins
Contributor I

I have been having some difficulty starting my own BLE project using MCUXpresso IDE.  

I first built an SDK using the MCUXpresso SDK builder following the same process suggested in https://community.nxp.com/thread/449713 I made sure to select BLE in the middleware selection when following this process.  

Unfortunately, when I use the "New Project" wizard I don't see any option of including any of the BLE drivers or any files that grant me access to the BLE API.  

I can import a sample project from the SDK which does include the necessary files to invoke BLE functionality.  These are located in project_root/bluetooth/ , project_root/source/gatt_db.h, and project_root/source/gatt_uuid128.h I can compile these projects and run them on my hardware and the ble functionality works great.

So I know that the ble stack files exist within the SDK, I just don't know how to get them into my new project with the new project wizard (If that is even possible)

I can copy and paste these files into my project, but I haven't found a way to view or edit the makefile.  In fact, even when looking at the contents of the directory generated by the new project wizard directly, no makefile can be found.  I assume then that MCUXpresso has some internal solution that is built into the .CPROJECT file.  

I am hoping that I am just missing some option while using the New Project wizard, but I might be missing some other detail here.

So Ultimately my questions are as follows:
1. How can I get the BLE stack files into my project using the New Project Wizard in MCUXpresso IDE

2. Failing that, how can I modify the "makefile" to include files that I copy and paste into my project from elsewhere

In case it is of any help in answering the question, my SDK is built for the frdmkw41z and I have also included freertos.

Thanks so much for any replies!

0 Kudos
1 Reply

gerardo_rodriguez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Cory,

The New Project Wizard doesn't support adding BLE stack files.

To develop your own application using the BLE stack it is recommended to use an existing BLE demo application as a base for your project with the Import SDK example(s)... wizard. For more information about the demo applications see the BLE Demo Applications User's Guide.pdf and for information on the most commonly used APIs on the BLE stack see BLE Application Developer's Guide.pdf located in <MCUXpresso SDK path>\docs\wireless\Bluetooth\.

Regards,

Gerardo