MC56F8346 ADC showing different values when the same AC voltage given to 3 channels

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC56F8346 ADC showing different values when the same AC voltage given to 3 channels

praveenpalapart
Contributor I

Hi,

I am using MC56F8436 DSC in one of our application where I need to sense 3 phase AC voltage and current.

Nominal voltage:63Vrms on each phase

Nominal current:1A rms.

• I am using built in ADC 12 bit in simultaneous mode 8 channels are used

AN0=Phase-A voltage

AN1=Phase-B voltage

AN2=Phase-C voltage

AN3=Phase-D voltage same input as Phase-A.

AN4=Phase-A current

AN5=Phase-B current

AN6=Phase-C current

AN7=Temperature.

• In simultaneous mode AN0 and AN4 is converted first than followed by (AN1-AN5),(AN2-AN6),(AN3-AN7).

Issue is:

In my application for 2560 ADC value is equal to 63.5V rms.

When same the input is given to all the voltage channels and current channels,the ADC value seen in all three phases are different. Ideally speaking when same input is given to all the channels,all channels should show same ADC value.

Say AN0,AN1,AN2 and AN3 are shorted and applied AC voltage to these channels with offset 1.55V DC and 1.485Vrms.

note: 1.55Vdc and 1.485Vrms is equal to 63 Volts rms

I am taking 192 sample of sine wave with 50Hz freq which means I m triggering ADC at every 104 usec. Timer-C is used for this purpose.From these 192 samples I am actually calculating RMS voltage.

Final ADC value should read as 2540, but in one phase it is reading as ADC value 2543 in other phase 2545 and in third as 2547.

note: 2560 = 63.5Vrms, then 2540 is equal to 63Vrms.

I am not expecting exactly 2540 ADC value,understood that there will some variation with ideal value but at least  all the three phase should show same value say 2543 in all three phase.

Can you please help me why the ADC value seen is different in all the three phase when the same AC voltage is given.

With regards,

Praveen

0 Kudos
3 Replies

praveenpalapart
Contributor I

Hi Xiangjun,

Thank you for your reply.

Can you please explain in detail for my understanding what are the factor which causes ADC channels to be inconsistant.

With regards,

Praveen

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Praveen

Even if you test the same DC voltage with the same channel with multiple sampling, it is impossible that you get the same sample value for multiple times.

You measure the same voltage using different channles, the samples from different channels has fluctuation, but the fluctuation is limited in a range, I think it is normal. I can not find out a spec to explain it, but I think the INL spec can explain the fluctuation partly. The INL is +/-3.2 LSB for the DSC ADC module, it means that there is +/-3.2LSB absolute error for the ADC sample.

Hope it can help you

BR

Xiangjun Rong

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Praveen,

Regarding your issue that you sample the same analog voltgae with multiple ADC channels, you expected the same digital samples for all ADC channels, but you get the ADC samples from 2540 to 2547 from different ADC channels, I think it is normal to get different samples with limited variation from different channels for the same ADC voltage because of ADC channels inconsistency.

Hope it can help you

BR

Xiangjun Rong

0 Kudos