Running KDS 3.2 alongside MCUXpresso on Linux

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running KDS 3.2 alongside MCUXpresso on Linux

gmb
Contributor I

I noticed that the installation of MCUXpresso fails because of a conflict with KDS 3.2.0.

dpkg: error processing archive mcuxpressoide-10.0.0_344.x86_64.deb (--install):

trying to overwrite '/lib/udev/rules.d/55-pemicro.rules', which is also in package kinetis-design-studio 3.2.0

It's pretty clear what's going wrong, but I don't know if I can fix this without repackaging either application. Can this be looked at for the next release?

Labels (1)
5 Replies

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

P&E udev rules for KDS are exactly the same as the ones for MCUXpresso, so as a workaround you can just delete the file (/lib/udev/rules.d/55-pemicro.rules) and it will get back there with installation of the MCUXpresso and you will be able to use both IDEs. Let us know if you have any other questions.

zdar,

MCUXpresso support

0 Kudos

leroyle
Contributor I

Thanks zdar for that response back.

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 bit, I know it's not a "supported" version but perhaps this is still pertinent.

Just removing the file did not do the trick. I had to pass a --force-overwrite to dpkg as well. 

1. Unpacked the image by adding a "--keep" option  as in

"sudo ./mcuxpressoide-10.0.0_344.x86_64.deb.bin  --keep"

this extracted the files into an "installer" sub dir

2. edited install.sh via:

"sudo vi install.sh"

3. added the --force-overwrite  option to the dpkg command for the ide install as in:

was originally:  

dpkg -i --force-depends mcuxpressoide-10.0.0_344.x86_64.deb
  changed to

dpkg -i --force-depends --force-overwrite mcuxpressoide-10.0.0_344.x86_64.deb

4. ran the install script via:

"sudo ./install.sh" 

The ide has installed and did start up, at least the initial view.

Both kds and MCUxpresso ide are up in the initial view, not sure yet beyond this as I'm not planning to try to run them at the same time.

Leroy

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Leroy,

sorry, yes you are right, removing the file won't do the trick. Your procedure will :smileywink: Thanks

Zdar

MCUXpresso support

0 Kudos

leroyle
Contributor I

Is there a workaround for this issue? I'm just "playing" at the moment so not a large deal if not. I assume uninstalling KDS would do the trick but I'm not at the point where I want to do this yet. Thanks

Leroy

0 Kudos

michalzan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Greg,

yes, this is a problem we will definitely investigate. Thank you.

Michal