IDE v5.9.0 (Studio v8.3 Build 091203) on Win7/64 gives "Unknown protocol error"

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDE v5.9.0 (Studio v8.3 Build 091203) on Win7/64 gives "Unknown protocol error"

mr_trekkie
Contributor I

In the last month I'm trying to update to the newest CodeWarrior that will build for our 15yr old production environment (built around a DSP 56F807), to get new behaviors without changing the circuit board.  Originally developed in IDE 4.1 Build 0622 on XP using a LPT BDM interface, I am using the last XP computer in the building and it will soon fail, I'm afraid.  

I've purchased a USB OnCE TAP from Freescale and installed the Classic IDE (CodeWarrior for 56800E Digital Signal Controllers v8.3.exe download from Freescale).  I couldn't see where the Eclipse version showed support for the 56F807, so I didn't go that new.  Once I confirm operation of the IDE with the TAP, my company will updated the demo license to a full $995 license.

Had trouble getting the drivers to recognize the USB TAP, but followed the instructions in Application Note AN4338.pdf (found actual file downloadable from message board here: I am using a usb tap but doesn't work on Win 7 platform. Where do I get Win 7 driver for the usb tap...).  I was able to see drivers load and TAP was recognized after that install (Device Manager shows "CodeWarrior USB TAP" under "LibUSB-Win32 Devices" is working properly).

Then I had to right-click CCS (CodeWarrior Connection Server) in Windows Tool-tray -> Show Console as I saw on another post in this forum.  Then I typed:

config cc utap

show cc  [which indicated 'Sending code to USB TAP - please wait']

config save

After this, 'show cc' indicates USB TAP (JTAG) "CC software ver. {1.3}" and the TAP's TX/RX light is flashing green and the RUN/PAUSE red light is solid when my board is connected and powered.  I also can see my board is halted from running, so that behavior seems correct.

Within the IDE I:

• upgraded my .MCP (project file)
  • can compile and link my project (with a couple minor alterations to our production code, due to slightly newer compiler and library), appears to be just fine
  • I get what appears to be a valid .ELF file
  • Now I want to connect and send this to my target.

The last part that has me stumped is:

Project -> Debug yields the fault "CCSProtocolPlugin: Unknown protocol error" and I cannot proceed any farther.

Debug -> Connect yields a different fault: "Interface function IMWProtocol::GetPreference is unimplemented"

One stupid question I have: Is this the newest version of the development environment that supports the 56800E DSP family?  Should I be utilizing the newer Eclipse method?

I appreciate any assistance I can get, thanks!

Wayne

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Wayne,

CodeWarrior 8.3 is a very old version which released before win7 released time. Thus it doesn’t support 64bit win7. If user needs install CW8.3, We recommend customer  install it 32bit system instead.

If user insists use 64bit win7 with CW8.3, please refer this document

http://www.nxp.com/assets/documents/data/en/application-notes/AN3936.pdf 

Hope it helps

Alice

0 Kudos