Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overlapping reg properties in imx6qdl.dtsi

Jump to solution
abdurrehman
Contributor III

Hi,

We are trying to run different OS on different cores on sabrelite and we have a tool that partitions the resources in the device tree for these OSes.
This tool complains when there are nodes with overlapping memory regions.

e.g
At arch/arm/boot/dts/imx6qdl.dtsi there are multiple nodes that have overlapping reg properties.

Set 1:
mmdc0-1@021b0000 { /* MMDC0-1 */
compatible = “fsl,imx6q-mmdc-combine”;
};
mmdc0: mmdc@021b0000 { /* MMDC0 */
compatible = “fsl,imx6q-mmdc”;
};

Set 2:
caam_snvs: caam-snvs@020cc000 {
compatible = “fsl,imx6q-caam-snvs”;
};
snvs: snvs@020cc000 {
compatible = “fsl,sec-v4.0-mon”, “syscon”, “simple-mfd”;
};

Is this okay to have such overlaps? Do these overlaps in memory regions of different nodes in the dts indicate any problems with the DTS?

----------------
I asked this originally at https://boundarydevices.com/morty-yocto-release/#comment-376924 and was redirected here.

Thanks.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Abdur,

On the DTS side there is not any problem on having multiple nodes pointing to the same memory regions. An example of this use case is having 2 different drivers configuring the same module for different functionality. You may consider these use cases in your tool to get rid of those warnings/errors.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Carlos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Abdur,

On the DTS side there is not any problem on having multiple nodes pointing to the same memory regions. An example of this use case is having 2 different drivers configuring the same module for different functionality. You may consider these use cases in your tool to get rid of those warnings/errors.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Carlos

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

Just to help understanding what Adbur reports, please have a look at the NXP kernel tree imx6qdl.dtsi file:

linux-imx.git - i.MX Linux Kernel 

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos