cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Program blank MK64F from FRDM board

tommyb90
Contributor III

Hi,

I have a problem while programming a blank MK64F.

I bought a blank micro to be embedded into another circuit. Once soldered I wanted to load the program using the FRDM-K64F board that I used to develop the firmware.

At this point using OpenSDA the procedure fails and using MBED I get this error:

"The interface firmware FAILED to reset/halt the target MCU".

I think this is relative to the RESET pin oscillating as the micro is blank. Is there a way to avoid this and program the chip anyway?

Has anybody had the same issue?

Thanks in advance,

Tommaso

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Tommaso,

Do you meaning replace the MK64 chip which on FRDM-K64 board with a new chip ?

If yes, first please check the part number of the new chip, when download program ,

select the right chip . Second , you can change the firmware to Jlink to have a try.

If you want use the FRDM-K64 to debug other board, there is a tutorial you can refer to :

Using the Freescale Freedom (FRDM-KL43Z) to Debug other Boards | MCU on Eclipse 

Hope it helps

Have a great day,
Alice Yang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

tommyb90
Contributor III

Hi Alice,

thanks for your quick answer XD

No, I didn't mean that I replaced the existing chip, but the situation is pretty much the same as I'm trying to write the content of a brand new device.

I copied the pinout of the existing SWD connector and pasted it to a new board. I used the FRDM to develop a prototype of the firmware to be loaded into the new chip, needless to say that the code is exactly the same, otherwise I would have a different kind of error (device not supported or something similar).

The "old" chip is still programming and working fine, but the "new" one has this problem.

The FRDM programming chip has the latest MBED bootloader as I thought this might have solved this.

I will try to change the bootloader FW to the Jlink as soon as possible and see if this fixes the issue.

Thanks again for your answer.

Have a nice day,

Tommaso

0 Kudos

tommyb90
Contributor III

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately the Jlink bootloader didn't work either. Same issue.

I made some other tests, though: I had the opportunity to use a Multilink universal by borrowing one and one thing I found out is that I'm not able to program the chip via SWD, but with JTAG programming this works perfectly.

Then I thought that, once programmed, the issue with the SWD would not be a problem. I was wrong, at this point I can only program the chip via JTAG and not via SWD. I'm lost.

Needless to say that the pins are working because the same pinout used in SWD is used in a different manner in JTAG, so every link to the uC is working fine.

I'm the only one who is facing this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Tommaso

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Tommaso,

About SWD interface, there is a design on FRDM board as Erich shows :

https://community.nxp.com/message/793145 

Please refer to it check yours .

BR

ALice

0 Kudos

tommyb90
Contributor III

Hi,

no success until now.

I checked the wiring and the HW, the bootloader is able to program the embedded uC, but not the one on the board.

The wiring is absolutely the same.

I also checked the EZ port, the JTAG TDI and TDO pins and the NMI (I added pullups on those to be sure).

Is there anything else that could stop the programming of the device?

Thanks,

Tommaso

0 Kudos