Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFC newbie questions

eyallasko
Contributor I

Hi there, 

The title says it all...I'm newbie to NFC so handle me with care :smileywink:

I'm interested in short range contact-less asset management application.

I did some research in NXP web but would be glad to get advise from experienced developers:

• What would be a recommended chipset to implement short-range (5 cm) asset detection ?
  • I've noticed PN746x/736x (ARM) and PN532(80C51) families. What are the main differences (pros/cons) of each ?
  • If using P2P configuration, what should I expect in terms of power efficiency given that I use one of the above ICs, that exchange data with a peer once every 1hr and is powered on Li CR2032 cell ?
  • What is the software development IDE that is used with these families? (Is there a free one ?)
  • Recommended evaluation kits

Any advice is appreciated, 

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Eyal Lasko,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Some feedback about your questions:

- See my recommendations for NFC Reader ICs and kits in the next community threads:

NFC Evaluation Kit 

- PN746x/736x is an ARM Cortex M0 MCU with integrated contactless frontend. The firmware is fully customizable. PN532 is an NFC Controller with integrated firmware which you cannot customize. Besides PN532 requires an external host MCU sending commands or to process Tx/Rx data.

- Power efficiency is not straightforward to estimate. It varies depending on nominal power consumption, operating mode and also in the antenna impedance matching (used output power).

- The typical IDE platforms used with NFC Reader evaluation boards are LPCXpresso IDE and KDS - Kinetis Design Studio. KDS is completely free and LPCXpresso_IDE has free edition (full featured, 256 KB download limit) and pro edition (feature extensions).

PS. I noticed you are working already with the PNEV5180B and you replied to this other thread. Please let me reply as soon as possible.

Best Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos