Digital Accelerometer to detect seismic signals

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Accelerometer to detect seismic signals

hoemin
Contributor I

I am doing MPhil dissertation on embedded system and looking for a number of digital 1-, 2- and 3- axis accelerometers to detect seismic signals, and preferably able to transmit the data wirelessly to the MCU or other embedded system. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies

david_diaz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Min,

Thank you very much for writing.

The NXP MEMS sensors are designed for end products and embedded systems that require measurement of forces resulting from fall, tilt, motion, positioning, shock or vibration. NXP offers a broad portfolio of acceleration sensors from 1.5g to 250g for applications ranging from highly sensitive seismic detection to robust collision detection.

In this case, I recommend using the MMA8451Q.

The MMA8451Q is a smart, low-power, three-axis, capacitive, micromachined accelerometer with 14 bits of resolution. This accelerometer is packed with embedded functions with flexible user programmable options, configurable to two interrupt pins.

Features:

- 95 V to 3.6 V supply voltage.

- ±2 g/±4 g/±8 g dynamically selectable full scale.

- I2C digital output interface (operates to 2.25 MHz with 4.7 kΩ pullup).

- 32 sample FIFO

- High-pass filter data available.

You may find more detailed information here.

As an additional note, the MMA8451Q is included in many development kits such as the FRDM-KL25Z. In case you are interested, you may find useful material in the links below:

- FRDM-KL25Z.

- Example projects.

Please let me know if you have any further question.

Best regards,

David

0 Kudos

hoemin
Contributor I

Hi David,

Oops!

I forgot to ask you the following:

a) On the Multicore Embedded System, there are multiple GPIOs available. Any suggestion that you could provide to receive the digital signal from the transceiver to the GPIOs will be most helpful.

Thanks.

Best Regards

Hoe Min

0 Kudos

hoemin
Contributor I

Hi David,

Thank you very much for your email.

I was familiar with KL25Z as I was using it together with LM75A Temperature Sensor for my undergraduate Software Engineering project.

As the operations is to be carried out in the field (not in the laboratory), taking into consideration that MMA8451Q is a suitable Digital Accelerometer, I shall need a number of them to be placed in the field and the digital signal of each MMA8451Q to send to multicore embedded controller where each core will receive the digital signal wirelessly from each MMA8451Q and carry out the data processing online.

Thus I need to look for solutions for transferring the digital signal wirelessly, e.g. using:

1) RF Transceiver such as NXP OL2385 Industrial RF transceiver, preferably using Digital Accelerometer with embedded RF Wireless Transceiver, similar to Analog Devices ADIS16000/ADIS16229 (Note: I have not verified if this can detect seismic signal) or similar types made by NXP.

2) Wireless Sensor Network.

Your enlightenment will be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best Regards

Hoe Min

0 Kudos