USB-KW41Z Thread KDS and debug

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB-KW41Z Thread KDS and debug

whistle512
Contributor I
If I build the router_eligible_device for the USB-KW41Z from the examples folders in C:\NXP\MKW41Z_ConnSw_1.0.2\boards\usbkw41z_kw41z\wireless_examples\thread\router_eligible_device\freertos\kds I get an OK build but no USB emulator debugging.  
1)Is Segger's 43_OpenSDA_USB-KW41Z.bin needed for this dongle in order to debug with J-Link? 
2)Also, the ProjectCloner for USB-KW41Z projects has a build error: "cannot open linker script file MKW41Z512xxx4_connectivity.ld: No such file or directory"
Thanks for the KDS build capability for Thread!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

armelfourreau
Contributor II

Nope couldn't get it to work.

I was hoping for some help/guidance from NXP.

0 Kudos

michaeldalby
Contributor I

Hi Armel,

That's disappointing. I'll try and raise it with our local distributor and NXP FAE to see if I can get it resolved.... I'll let you know if I manage to get it sorted.

Cheers

Michael

0 Kudos

michaeldalby
Contributor I

Hi Armel

I managed to get this resolved....

1. Take your USB-KW41  (which supports OpenSDA) and connect it to the PC via USB while keeping the 'RESET KW41Z'  button pushed. This will start the OpenSDA platform in MSD mode.
  2. After a second relese the push button
  3. The OpenSDA platform will show up as mass storage device (MSD) on the PC just like an USB stick.
  4. Download the  OpenSDA image for the USB-KW41Z from  https://www.segger.com/downloads/jlink/43_OpenSDA_USB-KW41Z.bin 
  5. Load the firmware by simply drag & drop the *.bin file on the device.
  6. After power-cycling the hardware, the OpenSDA platform will show up as J-Link on the PC.

I hope this help

Best regards

Michael

0 Kudos

armelfourreau
Contributor II

Thanks a lot Michael!

Best,

Armel

0 Kudos

armelfourreau
Contributor II

Actually the dongle still doesn't show up as a mass storage device. I will open another thread to ask what should be flashed (with a J-Link) on the dongle's K22F and KW41Z to have it recognized.

Cheers,

Armel

0 Kudos

armelfourreau
Contributor II

Hi David,

I am facing the same issues as you did two months ago.

How did you get your dongle recognized as a J-Link USB emulator?

I tried to flash "43_OpenSDA_USB-KW41Z.bin" on the K22F with my 'real' J-Link box, but with no luck: the dongle was not even recognized by Windows anymore.

Thanks!

Armel

0 Kudos

michaeldalby
Contributor I

I an having the same issue where the dongle is not recognised as a JLINK debugger/programmer. Did you manage to get this working Armel?

0 Kudos

whistle512
Contributor I

OK, to answer my own idiocy:

1) yes, you need to get 43_OpenSDA_USB-KW41Z.bin onto the dongle to use J-Link

2) you need to do a clean build of a project BEFORE you clone it. so to clone, say, end_device_ota_client :

a) build end_device_ota_client to create the debug folder and files like  MKW41Z512xxx4_connectivity.ld in the original
b) clone that original
0 Kudos