cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRDM-KL27Z USB Device CDC on Windows 8/10 and USB Host for serial adapters

micaelsantos
Contributor II

Hello,

I'm having two problems with the FRDM-KL27Z board which I can't find a solution so far.

The first issue is with board example "usb_device_cdc_vcom", it seems to work well on windows 7 but I can't make it work on windows 8/10 (which is what most people use nowadays). I already installed the unsigned driver supplied on the example and managed to get a new serial port, even though I can open the port there is no character echo. After debugging the code the problem seems to be in the variable "s_cdcVcom.startTransactions" which is never set to 1. Do I need a special driver to make it work? It looks to me like an OS driver problem and not on the microcontroller, but I can't find any workaround to solve the problem.

Another question is if it's possible to use the microcontroller "MKL27Z64VLH4" in USB host mode. I could only find examples for USB devices in the sdk. the device doesn't support USB host mode?

Thanks in advance for the help :smileyhappy:

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi

1> There are some threads about USB CDC issue with Win8/Win10 OS.

Please check below threads for the detailed info:

Kinetis USB CDC driver supported on Windows8, Windows10 

https://community.nxp.com/thread/357509#comment-526134 

2> KL27 USB module does support USB host mode, while the KSDK V2.0 software doesn't provide related example demo.

The USB stack V4.1.1 provide USB host demo for Kinetis L family product (KL25).

The KL27 USB module is same with KL25 USB module.

Customer could refer USB Stack V4.1.1 about USB Host mode application.

Wish it helps.

Have a great day,
Ma Hui
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

micaelsantos
Contributor II

Hello,

About the USB host mode, I wasn't sure if the microcontroller on the FRDM-KL27Z supported it or not. From what I saw the USB module on KL25 has OTG while the KL27 doesn't so I wasn't sure if we needed OTG to support host mode. I will look into the example for the KL25 and try to make it work now that I know the hardware supports it.

About the Win8/Win10 driver issue, my problem isn't with installing unsigned drivers or getting the COM port to appear which is what the threads you mentioned talk about. I can see the COM port and open it, but there is no echo back (which is what the demo is supposed to do). I tried it on two different computers, one with windows 8 and another with windows 10, both x64 systems and none of them worked. Then I tried on windows 7 x64 and it worked fine, so I'm not sure what to do to fix it. Maybe I need a different inf file? The demo has a bug? I'm a bit stuck at this moment if you have any hints I can try them

0 Kudos

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi

1> Sorry for my previous answer. KL27 USB module is different with KL25 product. KL27 USB module only support USB FS device application, not support host mode. Sorry again.

pastedImage_1.png

2> I don't think that was the KL27 USB demo code issue. I will check with Kinetis product team if there with updated USB CDC windows driver inf file for Win8/Win10 system. I will let you know when there with any feedback. Thank you for the patience.

Wish it helps.

Have a great day,
Ma Hui
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

iduque
Contributor I

Hello,

"I will check with Kinetis product team if there with updated USB CDC windows driver inf file for Win8/Win10 system".

Any updates? Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi

Unfortunately, I didn't get the feedback.

Could you please check below threads about Kinetis USB CDC driver for Win8 & Win10 OS?

Kinetis USB CDC driver supported on Windows8, Windows10 

https://community.nxp.com/thread/357509#comment-526134 

Wish it helps.

Have a great day,
Ma Hui

0 Kudos