can I use the LPC Link 2 as a debugger for a kinetis twr - k65?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I use the LPC Link 2 as a debugger for a kinetis twr - k65?

Jump to solution
daviddugan
Contributor II

I have a LPC Link 2 lying around, can I use it as a debugger for a twr-k65?

1 Solution
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David Dugan,

I’ve also tried some more testing for the KL25, KL26 ( Cortex-M0+) and the K64 (Cortex-M4).

If the LPC-Link2 using the CMSIS-DAP firmware, the LPC-Link2 can program and debug the Kinetis MCU when integrates with the IDE: Codewarrior, IAR, KEIL.

Have a great day,
Ping

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If programmed up with the CMSIS-DAP firmware using LPCScrypt (LPC-Link2 Debug Probe firmware programming), there is no reason I can think that would prevent the use of your LPC-Link2 to debug Kinetis parts with a toolchain that supports CMSIS-DAP probes (assuming the toolchain provides appropriate Kinetis flash drivers).

I'm not sure what the current status of Kinetis rather than LPC part support is in the Segger J-Link LPC-Link2 image is, but will check into this. But for general information on the use of the LPC-Link2 J-Link image, please visit SEGGER - The Embedded Experts - LPC Link 2 

Regards,

LPCXpresso Support

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I've also LPC-Link2 when using the CMSIS-DAP firmware to debug the Kinetis MCU, it also break down.

2016-10-13_15-06-42.jpg

Have a great day,
Ping

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

You need to be careful to separate artificial limitations imposed by toolchains, capability of flash drivers or MCU security features etc. from the capabilities of a debug probe.

LPC-Link2 is not limited to the programming of NXP LPC MCUs by any internal feature and it can certainly be used to program Kinetis MCUs.

When programmed with CMSIS-DAP firmware, LPC-Link2 is a generic CMSIS-DAP compliant debug probe.

The question that should be asked is - is the LPC-Link2 probe supported by my toolchain?

Yours,

LPCXpresso-Support

daviddugan
Contributor II

I am using Kinetis Design Studio, I should be able to find some free time next week to experiment.  I am new to KDS and the Kinetis MCUs, I will follow up with what I figure out.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

-Dave

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David Dugan,

I’ve also tried some more testing for the KL25, KL26 ( Cortex-M0+) and the K64 (Cortex-M4).

If the LPC-Link2 using the CMSIS-DAP firmware, the LPC-Link2 can program and debug the Kinetis MCU when integrates with the IDE: Codewarrior, IAR, KEIL.

Have a great day,
Ping

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David Dugan,

The LPC-Link2 only be used with NXP devices, I've also had a testing.

2016-10-12_10-12-18.jpg

Have a great day,
Ping

0 Kudos