cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kinetis Design Studio cannot read device memory from USB Multilink Universal FX

gregoryw
Contributor II

Hi everyone,

I'm using a Kinetis KV58F1M0VLQ24 with the USB Multilink Universal FX and Kinetis Design Studio 3.2.0 with SWD.

So far, I've gotten just about everything about debugging working including the breakpoints, Disassembly, and the EmbSys Registers.

However, the memory doesn't seem to be updating in either the memory monitors or the variables tab as I step through my source code.

I'm sure it's a simple configuration error in KDS. Only once have I witnessed it show me live values with my mouse hovering over the values. Other times I get a massive table view which show the same content as the memory and variables tab.

Let me know of any suggestions you have.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

jorge_a_vazquez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Gregory Wong

In KDS (Eclipse Kepler) you need to use the Expressions View, Could you check the following links:

How to view global variables under KDS3.20? 

https://mcuoneclipse.com/2014/03/16/variable-debugging-with-eclipse-kepler/ 

The second one is a post from our colleague, here he explains how use the version of eclipse that use KDS to debug and see variables.

Hope this information helps you, please tell me if you have more questions related.
Have a great day,
Jorge Alcala

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

gregoryw
Contributor II

Thank you Jorge,

Unfortunately, putting the variables in the Expressions tab did not solve the problem. The memory values are still not updating.

Is there some documentation about how the Kinetis Design Studio interfaces with the debugger? I'm presently looking up GDB server and client commands to see if I can get more verbose output out of the console.

0 Kudos

jorge_a_vazquez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Gregory Wong

Could you share your screen to get what you get when you use Expressions tab? the expression will be updated only when you have your debug session paused, for example if you put a breakpoint, and also the variable need to be in the scope of the program. for example:

pastedImage_1.png

Unfortunately the only document that is available is the the one in KDS_v3\pemicro path, but it is a basic explanation of how to configure PE in kds.

Hope this could helps.

Regards

Jorge Alcala

0 Kudos

gregoryw
Contributor II

Jorge,

I believe I am using the Expressions tab properly. Between the two breakpoints, I should see the value of checksum16 change to 0x2189, which is what I get when I write the value to UART. In my case, none of the values change, nor does Memory Monitors update.

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos

jorge_a_vazquez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Gregory Wong

I was making some research and tests of this issue, unfortunately I wasn't able to find anything similar to your issue.

This checksum16 variable is the only one that acts like this or all of your variables? Could you share your project to try to find if there is any configuration in the compiler options or the debugger?

Regards
Jorge Alcala

0 Kudos

gregoryw
Contributor II

I have been in touch with PE Micro and they have determined that Kinetis Design Studio is not issuing variable update commands. See the link below for the GDB trace log I sent them last week.

http://pastebin.com/L0CXvjvM 

Please let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos

gregoryw
Contributor II

Ah there we go. Thank you.

Are you referring to this screen?
pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos

gregoryw
Contributor II

Thanks so much Jorge,

It behaves like this no matter what project I use or variable I choose to monitor.

I have Exported the project as a zip file here:

https://file.io/TtbpIP 

0 Kudos

jorge_a_vazquez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Gregory,

Do you have any compilation setting in the build options???

I can't open the link, it said {"success":false,"error":404,"message":"Not Found"} . You can attached documents in .zip if you use advanced editor:

pastedImage_1.png

Regards

Jorge Alcala

0 Kudos

gregoryw
Contributor II

I've doubled checked that I'm using the latest PEMicro plugin: GNU ARM PEMicro Interface Debugging Support 2.5.6.201608260234

I also compiled and flashed a test project in Keil MDK. The debugger behaves properly in that IDE.

0 Kudos