TRK-KEA8 Inport - cannot compile

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRK-KEA8 Inport - cannot compile

brucebowling
Contributor I

Ok, I imported the project files from AN4942 into S32DS, this worked OK. However when I attempt to make the project it fails with a "Program MAKE not found in path" error, and warnings about "Invalid Project Path: Include path not found (\ARM_GCC_Support\ewl\EWL_C\include). So evidently I need some more setup, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bruce,

I have got the answer from one of our R&D team, which is responsible for KEA microcontrollers and unfortunately, we do not have any specific examples for KEA8 for S32 Design Studio.

But there is application note AN5213 called Kinetis EA Series Cookbook, which is determined for KEA128, but examples mentioned in this application are created for S32 Design Studio and can be easily ported for KEA8. There are very similar examples for KEA128 directly in S32 Design Studio installation folder too.

http://cache.nxp.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/app_note/AN5213.pdf?fsrch=1&sr=1&pageNum=1 

http://cache.nxp.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/app_note/AN5213SW.zip 

Also you can definitely use some source codes directly from SDKs for other KEA microcontrollers. Of course you have to do some changes for KEA8, but I think it is good basis for your development.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to write me back.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos

brucebowling
Contributor I

Hi Martin,

Thanks for investigating and looking into this for me. Guess I will have to use the old Codewarrior examples and modify got S32DS... looks like there are a lot of compiler-specific issues (i.e. variable type definitions, interrupt callback formats, etc) that will need to me modified. Hopefully the apps team will come up with ported examples since I cannot seem to find anything ready to go - I know the KEA08 is a three year old device but it is part of the KEA family and I am sure many people in the future will want examples to use under the S32DS tool.

- Bruce

0 Kudos

brucebowling
Contributor I

Ok - I made a new project template in the S32DS tool and copied over the lab1 source and header files - and hit build. Of course when I compile I get 255+ errors! Seems that everything is different especially in the define file SKEAZN84.h file, all of the interrupt definitions are all differently defined, and it looks like the callback methods are different syntax. I am not why this would change but the errors are sufficient such that a simple demo program will take literally hours to fix for a new tool.

Sooo - are there ANY demo projects for the KEA8 product available - anything at all? My frustration level is at maximum now - I was told that the S32DS tool is the one to use moving forward, but I cannot seem to make even a simple demo program to work, and there are no demo programs for the KEA8 product in S32DS that I can see. And there is no SDK for this tool for the KEA08.

Or - is the KEA8 unsupported in this tool and I have to use an outdated codewarrior to support?

Sorry to unload, but this is a really really bad "out of the box" experience.

0 Kudos

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bruce,

"I made a new project template in the S32DS tool and copied over the lab1 source and header files - and hit build. Of course when I compile I get 255+ errors!"

This solution is not possible. As you mentioned in your post, many thing are different, so you cannot simply copied files from another project and compile it. What you can do is to create new project for KEA8 in S32DS and manually ported all source code from CodeWarrior project (create files manually in S32, copy and edit the required source code, etc.). I know that this method is no much system, but it is a solution.

Right know, I am trying to get some KEA8 examples from our R&D teams for you. If I am successful I will share this examples with you immediately. So please be patient, I will contact you back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos

brucebowling
Contributor I

Ok, so it looks like I need to create a blank project and sub in the sources from the AN appnote. I will try this. On another note, I am taking your suggestion and creating a new project to use the SDK for KEA, so I run the create project option and get to the page where I choose the core, library, I/O support, etc. and I get to the place indicating SDK with nothing selectable. I click on the box with the three dots in it next to this option and it brings up another screen but I cannot choose or select anything. So I suspect that I need to load the SDK for KEA? If so where is the download link (I am missing it on the product page, unless it is called something else)?

0 Kudos

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bruce,

If you use KEAZN8, there is unfortunately no SDK for this microcontroller.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bruce,

examples from AN4942 are created for CodeWarrior not for S32 Design Studio. I tried to migrate this project to S32DS, but there are many trouble during this process. You can look at the following document which I used for migration, but this document is not determined for S32DS, but for KDS, so there are some changes. Also you have to change startup codes in the project.

https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-105776 

So from my point of view the best way is to create new project in S32 Design Studio and copy the source codes to the new one. Also you can use SDK for KEA microcontrollers (during creating new project choose KEA SDK).

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos