Does the ubuntu Image include zImage?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the ubuntu Image include zImage?

xiaochao0131
Contributor III

I noticed that the ubuntu Image(.img.gz) available for iMX6 sabre lite board. But I don't know whether it include zImage. I downloaded the mfgtools and checked the ucl2.xml, I found the u-boot , zImage, initramfs and rootfs can be flashed into the board. My question is that is it enough to flash ubuntu Image after flashing u-boot. Should I flash the zImage separately?

The ubuntu Image I mentioned above is Ubuntu Trusty for i.MX6/7 boards – March 2016 (kernel 3.14.52)

which is located at http://boundarydevices.com.commondatastorage.googleapis.com/20160330-nitrogen-3.14.52_1.1.0_ga-trust...

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

ericnelsonaz
Contributor III

As Gary said above, you can use the USB Mass Storage (ums) command to flash the image, which contains the kernel and userspace.

To add just a little detail:

• the board boots through the boot script (/6x_bootscript), and you can view that file with an editor if you just skip over the first bytes of binary header.

• The kernel (gzipped) is accessed through the symlink /vmlinuz, which will point at a file in /boot. There are some notes about "Ubuntunizing" the kernel here:
    https://boundarydevices.com/ubuntunizing-i-mx6-kernels/

In short: since the Boundary Devices' Ubuntu images boot through a RAM disk, you also need to update the kernel modules inside the ram disk (pointed at by /initrd.img).
0 Kudos

gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

Yes the image includes the zImage and the device tree for the board.

But, as I said yesterday in one of your question, you should *not* use MFGTools with our images/platforms:

iMX6 sabre lite always in download mode

Also, we provide an option to flash the images under Windows if you don't have Linux:

alex's coding playground » USB Image Tool

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos

xiaochao0131
Contributor III

Thanks

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi

mfgtools is just small linux image and all linux commands can be executed

by it (add them to ucl2.xml). So "dd" command also can be used.

Best regards

igor

0 Kudos

xiaochao0131
Contributor III

Hi igorpadykov,

Thanks for your reply.

I flashed uboot just now, and there is only uboot in my board, In this case, can I flash ubuntu image to my board ?

~/Downloads$ sudo umount /dev/sdc*

~/Downloads$ zcat 20160213-nitrogen*.img.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/sdc bs=1M

~/Downloads$ sync

I have naver flashed the zImage, I don't know if the ubuntu image contains the zImage.

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi

yes these linux commands also may work, please try to add

them to ucl2.xml. Also please read documentation in mfg tools

../Document  folder.

For big images one can look at

Increasing the size of initfsram for mfgtool

Best regards

igor