Interface between iMX6 with eMMC 5.0

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interface between iMX6 with eMMC 5.0

mrudangshelat
Contributor IV

Hi, I am going to use iMX6D customised board and we are planning to use eMMC 5.0 ver, since ver 4.41 is EOL. What kind of changes we need to do in Hardware and Software level to interface eMMC 5.0 with iMX6D? Provide you valuable answers. Regards, Mrudang

Labels (2)
14 Replies

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mrudang Shelat,

In hardware design it's the same as the low emmc4.41 version, no special modify, as the emmc5.0 is pin to pin to the emmc4.41. In the schematic diagram and PCB design recommend you to use the 169 ball BGA package.

In software design, you need to do some modify, details you can refer to EMMC 5.0 and EMMC 5.1 work on i.MX6 .

Then the emmc5.0 can work on i.mx6. Actually, the emmc5.0 is working on the emmc4.41 mode.
Have a great day,
Dan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Mark Correct  button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

kokhuateng
Contributor I

Hi Dan Wang,

Notice that the eMMC 5.0 have 3 extra pins compare to eMMC 4.41. Therefore, pin to pin replacement is workable on the same customise board? If not, then there is a board design change required?

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos

alparantalsando
Contributor I

Hi,

As far as know 'VFS' stands for 'Vendor Specific Function'. If the datasheet does not provide any further information about those pins then I believe they can be left unconnected.

Regards,

Alpy

mrudangshelat
Contributor IV

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the support. We have checked eMMC 5.0 with backward compatible with 4.41.

As per EMMC 5.0 and EMMC 5.1 work on i.MX6 : Booting from a eMMC 4.5 device or high version is not supported.

But if I would like to bootup from eMMC 5.0, Is there any alternate way to bootup my iMX6D SOC?

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mrudang Shelat,

You can use the eMMC5.0, it will work well on i.mx6 as my above reply to you. You need to do a little modify in the source code. As you know the eMMC5.0 work on the same protocol with eMMC4.41, so it can downward compatibility and can work on low version eMMC mode. So it's ok to use in your design.

Have a nice day

Dan

0 Kudos

mrudangshelat
Contributor IV

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply. As per your above reply, I understand that we can use eMMC 5.0 with i.MX6 with driver modification.

What I want to understand is,

Can i.MX6 ROM bootloader boot  the board from eMMC 5.0 device?

Thanks & Regards,

Mrudang

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mrudang,

Yes, it can.

Have a nice day

Dan

0 Kudos

mrudangshelat
Contributor IV

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your support.

In your previouse answer you replied as "In the schematic diagram and PCB design recommend you to use the 169 ball BGA package.".

• What is the difference between 153 or 169 ball BGA?
  • Can I use 153 ball BGA package eMMC, part No# MTFC8GAKAJCN-1M WT?
  • Or it is mendatory yo use only 169 ball BGA.

Please provide you view.

Thanks,

Mrudang

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mrudang,

No mandatory to use the 169 ball, just recommend. Both the 153 and 169 can work well.  Products from different manufacturers have different packaging. Here, You can use the 153 ball BGA package eMMC, no problem. In my above reply I mean if both 153 and 169 ball can work, recommend to use the 169 ball, its compatibility is well. Hope this can help you.
Have a great day,
Dan

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Mark Correct button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

mrudangshelat
Contributor IV

Thanks Dan.

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mrudang,

You are welcome. It's my pleasure:smileyhappy:

Here if you have solved the question in this thread could you help close this thread? Many thanks. If you have new questions you can create new threads in our community

Have a nice day

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Mark Correct button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

mrudangshelat
Contributor IV

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your supports all the way.

For safe side we are planned to keep 16Mbit SPi Flash for Boot up iMX6.

We have selected Microchip part # SST26WF016B-104I/SN.

Please help me by giving answer of below queries:

1. SPI with 16Mbit sufficient for iMX6 boot up? If not then What shold be the SPI density size?
  2. Please provide other part no# if this part is not enough to do boot up iMX6 SOC.

Please provide me you view.

Regards,

Mrudang

0 Kudos

mrudangshelat
Contributor IV

Hi Dan,

Any updates on my above query?

Regards,

Mrudang

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Mrudang,

Could you please create new thread in our community about this question? Many thanks.

Have a nice day

Dan

0 Kudos