cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To boot i.MX6SX Cortex-A9 from QSPI.

satoshishimoda
Senior Contributor I

Hi community,

Our partner want to boot i.MX6SX Cortex-A9 core from QSPI-NOR on MCIMX6SX-SDB.

We think it is possible with the procedure written in chapter 4.4.1.3 in Linux User's Guide (IMXLUG Rev.L3.14.52_1.1.0p-ga).

So our partner executed it with u-boot-imx6sxsabresd_qspi2.imx in Linux BSP, and it looks fine.

However, i.MX6SX did not boot and no log was appeared on serial console.

Would you give me your advice to boot i.MX6SX from QSPI?

Best Regards,

Satoshi Shimoda

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Satoshi,

According with the internal review, there is no problem in your hardware boot configuration. But if you want to enable QSPI-boot on the i.mx6sx-sabreasd board, it is recommended using MFGTool to download QSPI related images, or, you can follow the QSPI-downloading steps in mfgtools/Profiles/Linux/OS Firmware/ucl2.xml.

Regarding your questions,

1. u-boot-imx6sxsabreasd-qspi2.imx is programmed in address 0x1000 (i.mx7d address is 0x400) in the QSPI memory

2. You should programm QSPI-nor flash headers in address 0x400 (i.mx7d address is 0). The Nor-flash headers can be generated in script tools in mfgtool resources.

3. You can read ucl2.xml for the detailed operation and steps.

Hope this will be useful for you.
Best regards!
/Carlos
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Satoshi,

We are internally reviewing your case. We will provide additional details ASAP.

Best regards!

/Carlos

0 Kudos

CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Satoshi,

You could take a look at the following document, which explains how to change the boot source and considerations:

Booting Linux from SATA on i.MX6Q SABRE AI.

You could also refer to a similar QSPI boot clarifications on Vybrid which use the same controller than the i.MX6SX:

Parallel QuadSPI

Hope this will be useful for you.
Best regards!
/Carlos
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

satoshishimoda
Senior Contributor I

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for your reply, but sorry I did not understand what was wrong from the posts.

Actually, we have set BOOT_CFG pins as below, I believe it is not wrong for QSPI2 boot with i.MX6SX SABRE.

=====

Switch  D1  D2  D3  D4  D5  D6  D7  D8

SW10    OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF

SW11    OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF

SW12    OFF OFF OFF ON  ON  OFF OFF OFF

=====

And programmed image is u-boot-imx6sxsabresd_qspi2.imx included in L4.1.15_1.0.0-ga-images_MX6SXALL.tar.gz, so it should not be wrong image.

So I guess our following procedure to programming the image to QSPI NOR.

=====

1. Boot from SD card

2. tftpboot ${loadaddr} u-boot-imx6sxsabresd_qspi2.imx

3. sf probe

4. sf erase 0 0x80000

5. sf write ${loadaddr} 0x400 0x7FC00

=====

Please advise us what was wrong.

Best Regards,

Satoshi Shimoda

0 Kudos

satoshishimoda
Senior Contributor I

Dear Carlos,

Would you give advice to modify our procedure for QSPI boot?

Best Regards,

Satoshi Shimoda

0 Kudos